Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 7-18-2022

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, July 18 2022
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, John Rouse, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  Diane Randall
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda 
Approval of July 6, 2022 Minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to approve minutes of July 6, 2022 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported Leicester has its RFP for the Local Hazard Mitigation Planning Grant that will be sent out and returned by the end of August.  Regional Planning will most likely be the one responding to it.
The Old Jerusalem Road update is that the project is progressing well.  The old structure has been removed and rip rap is being installed on the river banks and river channel.  Next week, they hope to have their subcontractors there to begin the installation of the hydra pile for the bridge abutment.  
Julie reported she has not had any success with communication with the Director of the Railroad.
Julie reported that in conversation with VLCT, they are recommending they take all their ARPA money and pay payroll with it.  Whatever the payroll is for this year, they can use ARPA money for it.  When Julie reports, she will report what was used for payroll.  She will put the ARPA money in the General Fund. 
Julie reported she is getting ready to send out 911 letters.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they cut brush on Fern Lake Road and Ferson Road.
Brad reported he had a visit from a resident who was concerned about the beaver dams that were removed on Ferson Road; reporting that all the debris from the dams moved down stream and has plugged his culvert.  He was hoping that the town would go down and unplug his culvert.
Arlan will go down and look at it.
John reported he went to talk with Shelly and told her what the town wanted to have done before they came and she was fine with it.  He told her they wouldn’t be coming until they heard from her.  He hasn’t heard back from her yet.
Weight Permits:
  •   Inaugural Southbound Train
  •   Advance Train Tickets Ethan Allen Express
Buildings/Grounds Needs:
John sent his list of concerns for the buildings in June.
White Building:
Diane’s biggest concern is the railing at the White Building.  
John will fix railing temporarily prior to scheduled events in August.
John reported there might be a leak in the slate roof.
John will call Jeff Horneck & Kevin Betourney about the slate roof.
Diane has done some housekeeping downstairs.  She has dusted down all the ceilings, walls, cleaned the bathroom.  This weekend she wants to do the floors, kitchen and main room.  Upstairs still needs to be done.  
There was discussion about hedges and brush.  Tom stated it needs to be cut back at least a foot. 
Tom will talk with Gus.
Diane mentioned the windows upstairs that need glazing and painting.  They need someone with glazing experience.
John will talk with Desabrais.  
Julie recommended asking Tim Ryan, Gordon Stearns and Joe Malzac.
Julie will ask Tim Ryan, Gordon Stearns and Joe Malzac.
John mentioned that the Leicester Meeting House sign and planter need replacing.  There was discussion that the planter is no longer necessary.  Possibly putting a new sign in a new location with planted flowers instead of a planter.
Julie will check into the cost of having a new sign made.
Brick Building:
John reported the honor roll sign backing needs to be replaced.  It has rotted.  The front has all the names on it.
John will check into getting the backing replaced.  
VTrans Recommendations US 7 Intersection:
Diane shared the summary of findings and recommendations from Ian Degutis, VTrans State Traffic Engineer about the intersection of US-7 and Leicester-Whiting Road & Fern Lake Road.  Recommending what the Town could do and what VTrans plans to do.
John will talk with Gary about pavement marking stencils.
Tom & John will mark the areas for setting posts for two speed limit signs on Thursday.  
Board shared concerns that the State did not consider a reduced speed limit through the intersection area.
Diane will contact Ian Degutis about Board concerns and requesting additional signage or flashing lights.
Cemetery Recommendations:
Tom shared Gus’s concerns about settling and sunken areas in the cemetery and areas that weeds have taken over.
Brad will look at weeds and make recommendation.
Tom will talk with Gus and see what they need for soil, appropriate size machinery and man power.
Executive Session:
Motion by John and second by Brad to go into Executive Session at 7:50 p.m. for personnel matter.
Motion by Tom and second by John to come out of Executive Session at 8:00 p.m.  No action taken.
Motion by John to adjourn at 8:00 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday August 1, 2022
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary