Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 10-04-2021

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 4, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Doug and Cree Perkins, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Approval of September 20, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of September 20, 2021 as written.  3 yes and 1 abstention (Ron).  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Tom asked Arlan about painting the lines on the new paved sections of the road.  
Julie will contact Brian Sanderson about the painting.
Tom reported the beavers have the water up to the road.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that no one is getting salt quotes.  It has been a discussion with several towns.  They are not getting responses to phone calls.
Julie will try to contact her usual contact.
Julie reported that taxes are coming in.  Letters went out about delinquent taxes. 
Review of Mosquito District Amendments:
Julie provided a copy of the revisions to the Resolution to everyone.
Doug Perkins explained that the only item that needed to be changed; based on the input he got in Leicester, was that the year to year budget not to be increased more than 5%, unless all of the towns agree.
Doug stated they try to keep the budget as level funded as they possibly can.
Doug is hopeful that there will be a final vote on October 21st.  If approved, then it will come back to the town as a formal resolution and for a final vote.
The Board did not have any other concerns.
Motion by Tom and second by John to go into Executive Session at 6:46 p.m. to discuss potential legal matter.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Ron and second by Brad to come out of Executive Session at 7:35 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Brad shared concerns with Jim Carroll over the phone.  Jim shared his advice on options.  He explained that the Board acts as agents of the State and are acting as the Board of Health.
Cree shared her observations, contacts, concerns and all the avenues she followed.
Motion by Diane and second by Ron to authorize two roll off dumpsters, if required, at the rate of $1,157.52 each.  Authorizing Treasurer to cut a check for $1,157.52 to Casella, on October 5th for the first roll off.  Check to be hand delivered to Casella by Cree Perkins.  Said funds to come out of the General Fund.  Arlan or designee will be there to compact the trash, as needed.  Once dumpster is filled and removed, Treasurer will cut a check for the 2nddumpster, if needed.  4 Yes and 1 Abstention (Tom).  So, approved.
Julie shared her thoughts about Leicester’s tendency to be very lenient about things and maybe they should consider other alternatives or practices.  Diane suggested some things may be able to be put in the Town Report.
LDFLA Fern Lake Access Documentation:
Diane read the draft of the proposal that LDFLA would like to send to the Lake Champlain Basin Program for funding for improvements to the Fern Lake Boat Launch Project.
There was discussion about the level of phosphorous in 69 acres of water.  Brad brought some sample sizes to help show how much phosphorous they are talking about.   
Discussion about closing the access to vehicles and re-grading the parking lot so it drains to the wetland area.
Board shared concerns about local people not having access to the lake.  
The Board does not feel the improvements make a lot of sense and they do not support the project.
Brad explained he doesn’t feel the phosphorous reduction to dollar cost is very efficient and a waste of money.
Motion by Tom to move the question; do we or do we not want to support this project?
Motion by Tom and second by Brad stating the Board is not in support of this grant application.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Diane shared a letter of interest from Sarah Jane VonTrapp in serving on the DRB.  
Procedure requires Diane to forward this letter of interest to the DRB and they need to hold a meeting.  If they would like her to serve on the DRB, they should recommend her to the Selectboard.
Diane will respond to Sarah Jane and tell her that she will forward her letter of interest to Jeff McDonough, Chair of DRB.
Weight Permits:  None
  •       Transportation Alternative Program
  •       Agency Commerce Community Development
Transportation Alternatives Program:
Diane sent an email to Mike Winslow requesting he meet with board members in regard to the Salt Shed.
Interested Selectboard members can gather at the Town Shed for fact finding, Friday, at 10:00 a.m. 
Diane will email Mike and ask him to call Brad to confirm.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:37 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, October 18, 2021 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary