Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 04-15-2024

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 15, 2024
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, John Rouse
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Rob Devoid, Lesley Bienvenue, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Approval of April 1, 2024, minutes:
Motion by John and second by Tom to approve minutes of April 1, 2024, as written.   So, approved.  
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Brad. authorizing Julie to pay the bills.   So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan stated there was nothing much he had to report.  Some grading was done on Wheeler Road, Delorm Road, and Old Jerusalem Road.
Animal Control Officer:
Rob stated that all had been quiet.  
Julie provided Rob with the updated list of unregistered dogs.  
Julie mailed out notices today.  Once she knows what dogs are still in town and what dogs are no longer with us, she can give Rob a more accurate list and hopefully have a more reasonable number to follow up on.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported she sent in the Road Grant for Fern Lake Road for $220,000 from Route 7 to the junction of Hooker Road.  
Julie provided the Annual Financial Plan for all the Board to sign.  Board signed.
Julie provided a copy of the Special Election notice of the Otter Valley Unified Union School District re-vote for April 30, 2024.   Everyone will get one in the mail.
Julie spoke to the Sheriff’s Department, and they will be here April 30th from 10:00 – 4:00.  Julie notified the school district that they will be billed for the hours for the Sheriff.
Julie reported that they had a guardrail accident a few weeks ago down on Leicester/Whiting Road down by Old Jerusalem somewhere.  Arlan is going to get Julie a quote and she will be contacting the insurance company to try and get the claim paid.
Julie provided the Letter of Intent for the FY25 Hydrologically Connected Roads.  
Diane signed the MRGP FY25 Permit.
Julie has a call tomorrow with VLCT regarding ARPA expenditures for 2023.  
Julie received an invoice from OCW on April 9th, that was dated February 1, 2024, asking Leicester to pay the first quarter payment of the 2024 assessment.  Julie responded that per the January email, Leicester would not be paying the 2024 now, that they would be on the same schedule as all the other towns in the district which begins on September 30th.
Board agreed with Julie that they are not paying the invoice until September 30, 2024, paying on the same schedule as other towns.  We should all be treated equally.
Julie reported that the iPad is all set up for the road information.  The culvert stuff is not ready yet.  They are also going to install the camera app.
Julie has a couple of things for Executive Session.
Weight Permits:
All weight permits were reviewed by Brad & Arlan and signed.
  •       Back Yard Burning Reminders
  •       Feedback Emergency Preparedness Survey
Green Up:
Green Up is May 4th.  
Some people have signed their names on the bulletin board.  Vermont is trying to achieve a Guinness World Book Record for the most trash picked up in a 24-hour period.  Diane is going to take the list and contact the individuals.  Diane R. stated to feel free to contact the school.
Diane stated there will be lunch as usual.  She is working on getting raffle donations.  She assumes Lem will do the pick-up of the trash.
Tom asked about the progress of cleaning out the brick building.
Diane R. stated she hadn’t been able to get there yet.
Diane B. stated that after Green Up they will have a little workday with volunteers.
Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (LHMP):
Diane B. reported that Andrew was here Thursday night, and they took one go through of the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (LHMP).  Reviewing the previous status and looking at the future.  The Board went through the checklist status and indicated whether the items were completed, action in process, action not completed but still needed, action did not need any longer.  
Diane B. will report back to Andrew, and he is hoping to have the complete draft for the May 6th meeting and then Board would review it and adopt it at the May 20th meeting under New Business.  He must send it off.
Preliminary Junk Ordinance Discussion:
Julie contacted several towns for copies of their junk ordinances for the Board’s review.  Julie and Diane liked the Ordinance with a flow chart.
Diane B. read a letter from a resident asking if the town was enforcing the Junk Ordinance.
Board shared concerns about how they know where things are at in the process after tickets have been issued.
Julie will try to research and find someone to call and talk to at the Judiciary about the processing of tickets and get information on what it takes to change an Ordinance.
Julie will call VLCT to see if they have a newer template for a Junk Ordinance.
There needs to be a response to the letter before the next meeting.
Executive Session:
Motion by Tom and second by John to go into Executive Session at 8:02 p.m.  for possible legal matter.  All in favor. So, approved.
Motion by John and second by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:26 p.m. with no action taken.
Motion by John, second by Tom to adjourn at 8:26 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, May 6, 2024.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra Trombley