Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 07-19-2021

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, July19, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Approval of July 5, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of July 5, 2021 as written. 3 Yes, 2 Abstentions (Brad & John) So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Brad and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported they did some grading and drew gravel and got the third culvert in.  He had someone come down from Nortrak to put in a new shifter control in the tractor.  Arlan talked with Dubois but he hasn’t seen him yet.  
Arlan talked with Brad about using a piece of equipment, but is waiting for the water to go down to try to get out as far as they can and look to see if there are more beaver dams.  Something is still blocking the water.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported she received notice that they are going to get a grant for $6,700 for the Municipal Assistance General Roads Permit. 
The Disability Rights Vermont has chosen Leicester as one of their annual election survey towns.  They would like to come on July 27th to look at the parking lot and entrance for accessibility and make recommendations.
Julie stated that last meeting they talked about cell and security cameras.  Barry suggested doing a Cuddeback Cuddelink to each of their buildings because it would link all the cameras.  They would all be in range to link to each other.  She didn’t do any pricing.  She wasn’t sure where they were at in the process.
Julie sent an email to the Sheriff’s Department about the garbage Ron found and the Health Order.
The Sheriff’s Department did serve the Health Order.  Now they are on the countdown of days. 
Julie provided a list of delinquent dogs as of today.  She is going to provide this list to Carlie.   
The Board is good with Carlie fining people.
The Lister’s office launched the grand list.  They will set the tax rate tonight and property tax bills will go out early to mid-August.  They are going to continue to waive the late homestead filer penalty.
Weight Permits:  None
Sheriff Newton sent a message inviting representatives of all the towns in Addison County to come to a meeting on Thursday, July 22nd at 6:00 p.m. at the Sheriff’s Office to discuss issues related to public safety concerns.  
John offered to go representing Leicester.
Update on Hazard Mitigation Plans.  There is grant money available to update plans.  Our plan expires this fall.  Diane is familiar with the process.
Traffic Monitoring Devices:
Tom received a quote for traffic signs.  $5,600 for two signs and four universal brackets and $350 freight cost.  It takes about three weeks to get them.  If they pay with a check, they can get an extra 1% discount.
Motion by Tom and second by John to authorize Julie to send a check to purchase two signs and four universal brackets with freight cost; funds to come from the Equipment Fund and no more than $5,950.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Tom asked Julie to contact Mr. Gregory and confirm the amount to send.
Health Order Status:
Diane spoke with Jim Carroll to lay out the next steps in the process and send the steps to Julie, Cree and her.
Jim will draft a complaint to go to Superior Court to file an Injunctive Order.  Diane and Cree would most likely have to go to court in person.  
Julie asked if they would be able to put a lien on the property for their legal expenses.  Tom and Diane thought yes; that they could put a delinquent tax lien and lien for legal expenses.
Julie will confirm with Jim Carroll tomorrow.
Setting the Tax Rate:
Homestead Rate:  $1.7050
Non-Residential Rate:  $1.9540
Motion by John and second by Tom to approve the tax rate.  All in favor.  So, approved.
The packet is going around for Board signatures.
Diane reported she had a message from David Johnson from the LDFLA in regard to the Water Quality Study that was being done.  They would like to team with the town for a water quality project.
Brad talked with him and stated they had identified 60 sites.  David wanted to get together with Brad and Arlan and discuss some of the mutual benefits.  They might be able to get some state or federal money.
Public Use of White Building:
Jim Carroll stated that as long as the VT DEC was posted and the sink’s water was shut off, you could let the public use the building.
Doug Perkins, LDFLA, would like to come to the August 16th meeting to do an oversight with Selectboard re:  BLSG by-laws.
Brad stated they are doing revisions to the BLSG by-laws.  Now every Selectboard needs to approve them; then it goes back to BLSG for final approval.  There is a name change; as well.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel at 7:20 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by John to come out of Executive Session at 8:20 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by John and second by Tom to raise wages to $20 per hour for current employees Terry Muzzy and Steve Morrison effective in their next paycheck.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by John to request a joint meeting with the DRB on July 26, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. by email and hard copy.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:22 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, August 2, 2021 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary