Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 9-06-2022

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, September 6, 2022
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, John Rouse, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda 
 
Approval of August 15, 2022 Minutes:
 
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to approve minutes of August 15, 2022 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Brad and second by John authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported that they came up $10,000 short to be able to complete the paving from Brandon town line to Roger Scarborough’s.    The $100,000 got them a little south of John Parker’s house.
 
Motion by John and second by Diane R. authorized the paving to be $110,000 to complete the paving.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Arlan will tell D&F to continue.
 
Arlan priced out posts for the speed signs at Mac Steel:
  •       $256 for ¼” aluminum for 12’
  •       $204 for 1/8” 
  •       $160 for 1/8” steel
 
Arlan was wondering if they couldn’t use aluminized 4” exhaust pipe; $95 for 10’.
 
Tom was concerned about using steel.  They are supposed to be shear able.
 
John will look at the poles and see if flashing can be changed when you meet the posted speed limit.   
 
Tom will look into 3” stainless steel exhaust pipe.
 
Arlan will pull up the pole by Donna Malwicki’s.
 
Board will revisit the pole issues at the September 19th meeting.
 
Discussion about the speed signs coming down at the end of October; before winter.
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that the tax bills went out.  Tax money has started to come in.
 
Weight Permits:  None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
  •       Electric Vehicles
  •       VT Criminal Justice Council Along with VLCT re: Constables
  •       Brandon Local Mitigation Plan Draft
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Buildings/Grounds Update:
 
John will get the stencils from Brandon and do the stenciling at the T after the paving has been completed.  
 
John will follow up with Betourney about the slate roof on the Brick Building.
 
Diane R. reported that the school is using the White Building.  The kids love it and refer to the building as the White House because there is a picture of George Washington there.  They made little wigs and had their pictures taken.
 
Diane R. asked if they could use the Brick Building for music lessons on Thursdays; if the weather is bad and they can’t do it outside.  Board was ok.
 
Julie reported that the door to the Brick Building was wide open.  John stated that if you do not slam the door hard and check it, it doesn’t latch.  
 
Diane B. mentioned that the door knob on the White Building is loose.
 
John will look at the door to see if they need more attention.
 
Julie wants to have the lock people come back and re-key the Town Shed so that all the keys are the same.
 
Transportation Issues Update:
 
Diane reported that Lem called to see when they would like him to do the roadside mowing.
 
Board agreed he could proceed anytime.
 
Julie reported that the GPI Inspector called her to say he has about 300 photos of the Old Jerusalem Road project, if he can get someone to help him get the photos off the camera.  Julie said he will send us some.  He told her the exciting part is coming; they are going to set the beams to the bridge today.
 
Diane reported that Ian Degutis, State Traffic Engineer answered their letter of concern about the 4-way intersection. Diane read the letter.
 
Diane will contact Joe Kelly to see if he would come down to talk about it.  She will report back.
 
LHMP RFP Review:
 
The Local Hazard Mitigation Plan requires the town to create a request for proposals.  They got two proposals.  They were ACRP for $6,577.47 and Stephanie Magnan from SEAM Solutions for $7,300.  Town has been granted $12,500.
 
Board felt ACRP has done all of that work in the past and can get going right away and they are more local.  SEAM Solutions is from the Barre area.
 
Motion by John and second by Tom to award the review to ACRP at a cost of $6,577.47.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
There was discussion about whether a final decision had been made about the Silver Lake Hut.  No one was sure.
 
Response to VT Sun 2023 Race Letter:
 
A letter was received from VT Sun about the dates for the 2023 Race at Lake Dunmore; June 18, July 16 and August 13.  It is a swim, bike and run.
 
Concerns were shared and some video was provided of bikers and runners on both sides of the road.  Traffic was held up and when able; cars had to drive down the middle of the yellow line.  Someone coming the other way is a danger. 
 
Diane R. shared concerns about the dangers on Route 7 and around the lake area and felt they shouldn’t be coming and going on the same road.
 
Julie asked what gives them right to stop traffic.
 
Discussion about why it always has to be held here.
 
They are expecting an acknowledgement of their proposed dates.
 
Diane B. will send a letter to VT Sun and the State Police acknowledging the dates and stating concerns.
 
Dealing with Dog Issues:
 
Julie reported that Jahnu had been called because there had been a dog that had been barking for a week and people were concerned about neglect.  Jahnu went to the residence and was concerned about the dog and called the Sheriff to assist him with it.  Jahnu ended up getting a hold of the owner and she is working with him and following everything he has said so far.
 
Julie stated that this incident brought up a lot of questions about the process.  John found out that if we have a warrant, then we have to take the dog to a vet.  Once it is cleared by the vet, the Humane Society is required to take the dog.
 
Julie asked a couple questions.  Should the town have a relationship with a vet and should we have a place to house them temporarily until they can see a vet?
 
Diane R. explained that since COVID, it is very difficult to get an emergency vet.  You call and they send you to Burlington.  After hours, there is nobody on-call. 
 
There was discussion about possibly looking into a pet rescue or foster or have a kennel at the Town Shed to hold a dog for a night.  No one knew what other towns do.
 
John commented that this is going to become a bigger and more frequent problem.
 
Tom felt we needed a house-to-house dog census done.
 
Julie stated it’s time to hold people accountable to license their dogs.  
 
Diane will report back after having a conversation on Thursday with Jessica.
 
Motion by Tom second by John to adjourn at 7:52 p.m.
 
Next meeting:  Monday, September 19, 2022
 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary