Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 08-16-2021

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 16, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes
Members Absent:  Ron Fiske, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Doug Perkins, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:35 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Approval of August 2, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of August 2, 2021 as written. All in favor.   So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Brad and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that he hauled sand one day.  
Arlan reported that Gary hopes to be down here next week, Monday or Tuesday, for paving.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that the first batch of ARPA money was deposited.  Julie stated that Leicester gets to keep the interest on the ARPA money.  Towns were advised to keep a separate general ledger line item for this money.  The money is just going to sit there until it is sorted out what the money can be used for.
Julie will get a quote for doing more digitization of records; as the ARPA money can be used.  
Julie has placed an ad for two people for the DRB.  The ad is running in the classifieds and public notices.
Julie reported she had to do a cyber security questionnaire for VLCT.  Chances are strong that they will have to do a couple more things for cyber security.  Most likely they will have to change their email server and something in the firewall.  The insurance companies are being super particular now because of all the hacking going on.  
Julie provided the MRGP new ditching grant for FY22 that needs the Board’s signature.  Board signed.
Julie provided an FYI of the Notice of Appeal for BLSG spraying from Vermont Law School.  They are appealing a decision.
Julie reported that she had wasps on the mailbox and had to spray them.  Arlan said it needed a new board that holds it.  He will put a new board under the mailbox so they can’t get in.
Julie stated that tax bills are going out this week.
Weight Permits:
Arlan approved one weight permit.
  •       Sheriff’s meeting was put off until this Thursday
  •       RFP Transportation Planning Grant ACRP
  •       Watershed Conservation Program to receive FEMA funding
Traffic Monitoring Devices:
Julie explained the options she had provided with good and bad news.
There was discussion about the monitoring device options and pricing.
Board tabled the decision until there is a full board.
Julie will ask Mr. Gregory for a 30-day extension.
BLSG Update:
Doug Perkins came to consult with the Board about some proposed changes to the agreement that underlies the mosquito control district. 
Doug gave background of how they are where they are today.  
The Board took a hard look as a board, at the by-laws and probably some changes needed to be made.  A proposal was made to establish a small committee composed of one representative of each town to go through the by-laws and propose changes to the rest of the Board.  
Discussion on mosquito district’s authority.  
There was a proposal to change the name of the district to the Otter Creek Watershed Insect Control District instead of listing all the towns or having to change the names; if and when towns change.  That has been approved by the Board.
Ahead of voting on the changes to the Resolution Agreement, each representative of the By-Laws Committee will go to their respective Selectboard and ask for comments, questions, concerns.
Doug went through the draft of changes to the Resolution to Agreement.
Julie asked a question about Paragraph 5 and when a town has to pay.
Each town will provide their individual payment schedule; as each town has a different tax payment schedule.
Julie asked the question, what say does the town have, and can the selectboard ask questions about the BLSG’s budget?   Julie explained her reasons for asking about the wording “deems appropriate”, and how it affects things years down the road and what recourse the town has.  She thought there needs to be a check and balance for budgeting purposes.  Julie recommended perhaps a percentage limit on the budget and anything over that can be rejected by the town.
Doug will take comments back to the committee and come back to Selectboard with an advanced copy for final approval.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom, second by Brad, to adjourn at 7:35 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, September 6, 2021 (Labor Day)
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary