Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 09-20-2021

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 20, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Members Absent:  Ron Fiske
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Added grant opportunities under the Transportation Alternatives Program
Approval of September 6, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by John to approve minutes of September 6, 2021 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they hauled some sand and Tom and Scott did some grading. 
Arlan reported they did some brush cutting around the guard rails.  More to do.
Arlan dug out a few beaver dams that he could get to; as the water was getting really high and not draining off.  Arlan stated he will keep the Board posted on the beaver dams.  
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie is working on the paperwork for the Paving Grant.  She needs more information on the expenses for the stone for driveways and the shoulder work.  
Julie stated to become compliant with the requirements for cybersecurity insurance, they need a piece of hardware that is $695.  The software they currently have for malware can be upgraded.  It will increase the monthly rate and it will be added to the other two computers they have.
The Office Suite they have has an email client which they would switch over to.  That would increase the monthly premium for that.  If they don’t do this, they won’t qualify for cybersecurity insurance through VLCT which means if they get hacked, they will not be covered for ransomware attacks.
Julie’s recommendation is to go ahead with the security improvements.  It can come out of the office budget.  There is money to take care of it for this year.
Brad, Julie and others don’t feel they have much choice in the matter given cyberattacks that are happening and if these improvements are not made, they are on their own financially, if attacked.
Motion by Brad and second by John to approve the necessary cybersecurity improvements.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie drafted a response to VT Sun about bicycle racing concerns and read to the Board.  The Board approved the draft for Julie to send.
Julie received an email from Carlie, the Animal Control Officer indicating that Janu will be officially taking over.  Julie hasn’t seen or heard from him to date.  Carlie had a concern over a particular dog owner who constantly has dogs at large.  She feels the town ordinances are out of date and can make it hard for them to deal with the most common issues.  She asked if there was a way to voice their concerns to the Selectboard.  Julie updated the Board on the dog owner and answered Carlie back.  No one has come to register their dogs or tickets issued.
Julie had two people from Delorm Road request that a sign be placed at the top of the hill on Fern Lake Road just before the intersection, saying something to the effect of “slow down, dangerous intersection”.  As people are coming off Delorm Road people are almost having accidents with people coming down the hill too fast; and especially hard to deal with in the winter.  People state it’s becoming a daily occurrence. 
Tom and Arlan both agreed it is a very dangerous intersection.  Tom stated he put a dangerous intersection sign at the top of the hill years ago.  He doesn’t know if it is still there or not.
Arlan will check it out to see if there is a sign and if not, check into getting a sign.
Julie ordered the speed signs and is having them shipped to Brad’s place of business.  As soon as Julie knows when they are shipped, she will let Brad know, but they said in about 25 days.
Julie reported that the tax bills went out and tax money is coming in.  Julie received a call from the lawyer’s office today and letters for delinquent taxes are going out today or tomorrow.
Tom mentioned that Jeff McDonough gave him a call and told him he found someone that might be interested in the DRB position.  Tom told him to have the gentleman send a letter of interest to the town with an introduction and if he wanted, he could show up at the Selectboard meeting.  No one has heard from him.
Diane mentioned that Jay Michael had sent her an email awhile back about a lady who might be interested in the DRB, but she had to get through a wedding first.  Diane hasn’t heard anything.  
Diane will put the DRB position down on her to do list to contact them.
Weight Permits:  None
  •       October 6 Virtual Conference Sponsored by VLCT:  Infrastructure
  •       Vermont Local Road’s new Branch Manager
  •       Legislative Apportionment Board
School Request Use of White Building:
Diane reported that the school principal requested the use of the White Building one day a week, Thursday mornings, for music lessons.  
Board agreed it was ok for the school using the building for music with all the warnings about not using the water for drinking.
Diane will contact him.
Transportation Alternatives Program:
Brad sent Diane an email from Mike Winslow from ACRP about the Transportation Alternatives Program which is accepting applications through November 24th.  It provides funding for on and off road pedestrian facilities infrastructure projects.  There is an information virtual workshop October 5th.
Diane will contact Mike to see if he can come to look at the shed and get his feedback.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to go into Executive Session at 7:12 p.m. to discuss pending legal matter.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Brad and second by John to come out of Executive Session at 7:35 p.m. with no action taken.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by John and second by Tom to adjourn at 7:35p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, October 4, 2021 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary