Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 03-14-2022

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, March 14, 2022
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, Diane Randall, Tom Barker, John Rouse
Others Present:  Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Town Clerk/Treasurer; followed by Pledge of Allegiance.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Julie entertained a motion to nominate a Chair of the Board.
Motion by John and second by Brad to nominate Diane Benware as Chair of the Board.  4 yes and 1 abstention by Diane.  So, approved.
Julie turned meeting over to Chair of the Board.
Review of Agenda:   Add February 28 Informational Meeting Minutes.
Board Reorganization & Appointments:
Motion by Brad and second by John to nominate Tom Barker as Vice-Chair of the Board.  4 yes and 1 abstention by Tom.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by John to nominate Brad Lawes as Road Commissioner.  4 yes and 1 abstention by Brad.  So, approved.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to nominate John Rouse as Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds. 4 yes and 1 abstention by John.  So, approved.
Board reaffirms Sandra Trombley as Clerk.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board reaffirms the Addison Independent as media of record.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board reaffirms that the Chair may place ads on behalf of Selectboard.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board reaffirms that the Chair may second a motion.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board reaffirms that the Board will follow the Civil Rules of Conduct and follow the Robert’s Rules of Order for small boards.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board reaffirms that any one of the Selectboard can sign on behalf of the Board for orders that need attention prior to a meeting.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board reaffirms that regular meetings are the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month at 6:30 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board Re-appointments:
  •       Donna Pidgeon as Cemetery Sexton.   All in favor.  So, approve. 
  •       Richard Reed as Representative to Addison County Solid Waste District.  All in favor.  So, approved.
  •       Arlan Pidgeon as Tree Warden.  All in favor.  So, approved.
  •       Motion by Tom and second by John to re-appoint Jeff McDonough as First Constable and Mike Rakowitz as Second Constable.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Approval of February 21, 2022 & February 28, 2022 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of February 21, 2022 as written. All in favor.  So, approved. 
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of February 28, 2022 Informational Meeting as written.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan brought up that the price of fuel is getting very high compared to last year.  Arlan would like the Board to consider a fuel surcharge.  Arlan stated that they can discuss it at their next meeting.
Brad thought they could tie a surcharge back to hours.  Arlan can do some research and they can discuss it at their next meeting.
Julie will check to see if the fuel surcharge could be covered by ARPA money after March 31st.
Chair reported that Maple Broadband, Turning Point Center of Addison County, and John Graham Housing and Services have requested Town of Leicester ARPA funds.
Diane Randall asked how much ARPA money Town of Leicester is getting.  
Julie reported that Leicester has received $162,000 and they are going to get another $162,000.  
Arlan asked for a phone at the Town Shed.  
Board approved Julie checking into a phone.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie provided the updated Local Emergency Management Plan (LEMP) for Chair’s signature.  
Chair signed LEMP.
The Access Permit that Arlan and Brad signed for Tim & Amey Ryan was provided for Selectboard signature.
Diane Randall shared information about the Leicester School.  She shared that they have a new principal coming; Brian Crane for next year.  Diane will encourage him to come and meet the Board.  She stated their numbers are fewer (83) but needs are greater.  They had to send 10 children to Neshobe.  They are asking for a modular for more space but no one has bid on it.  First day, today, of no masks.
The water tests are good.  
Julie stated that they came Thursday and pumped the septic tank at the Town Office and the White Building and cleared the lines for free.  
Julie stated that the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan paperwork for the Grant has been given to Chair to look at.  Addison County Regional Planning will be doing a big chunk of that.
There was a question from the building’s person at the school about when the school was covered with stucco; in order to complete a report for the state.  Diane B. thought it was in the early 90’s.
Julie reported the tax sales are scheduled for April 21st.  
Julie reported the Election went well.
Weight Permits:
Arlan signed weight permits.
Resident Request:
Lesley Bienvenue called in at 7:00 p.m.  She wanted to inquire about the budget for the Brandon Library for $2,500.  She thought it was significantly more than in the past years and wondered what it was covering and if more people from Leicester were using the library.  
Julie explained that it is an Assessment that the Brandon Library requests for financial assistance.  Julie stated that a number of people from Leicester use the Brandon Library.  They are given the same opportunities for membership as Brandon residents. 
Lesley asked if the Board felt the $2,500 was justified. 
Diane Benware thought it was and explained that the $2,500 has been in place for several years and historically the town has had an understanding with the Brandon Library for a number of years.
Lesley had remembered that it was less in past years and wondered if the increase was due to technology or more residents using the library.
Diane B. stated it was for the operation of the library.  She can’t separate the costs out.
Lesley wanted to express her concern that she has never understood why the Town of Leicester being in the County of Addison hasn’t used the Addison County resources, such as the Middlebury Post Office and Middlebury Library.  She stated that her preference would be to use Middlebury.  She didn’t know how it was decided to use the resources in Brandon.
Julie stated it was probably because Leicester’s school kids are in the Rutland Northeast Supervisory Union; and the children in Leicester go to Otter Valley Union High School and co-mingle with Brandon, Sudbury, Whiting and Pittsford and so they are closer and Leicester is part of the Supervisory Union.  
Julie shared that the Supervisory Unions are set up based on proximity and child count.  Those are well outside of the town’s control.  It makes sense that we would align more with Brandon. 
Lesley thanked the Board for their time.
  •       Chair read letter about cycling event known as Vermont Grand Fondo, June 25th; asking Leicester’s permission 
o   Chair signed on behalf of the Board and confirmed Board wants single file signage
  •       North Middlebury Sand & Gravel Price List
  •       AARP VT 2022 Community Challenge Grant
  •       Prevent Child Abuse VT Committee: Planting Pinwheel Gardens in April
  •       Vermont Capital Planning Forum April 7th 9:00 – 1:00
  •       Vermont Health Connect Grants
  •       Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
  •       Used Body Armor Collection for Ukraine
  •       Selectboard Trainings 
  •       Nemric Training
  •       Gov. Phil Scott and surplus funds
  • Brandon Fire Department & Dunmore Hose Co. Dedicating a Memorial Garden for Chief Roman Wdowiak Saturday 1:00
Mowing Bids:
Julie reported she has only received one bid so far.  Mowing bids are due for their next meeting.
Alternate for Leicester is still needed for the Otter Creek Watershed Insect Control District.  
Brad explained what the position entailed.
Chair asked for people to think about possible alternates to discuss at next meeting.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to go into Executive Session at 7:50 p.m. to discuss possible legal action.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second Brad to come out of Executive Session at 8:29 p.m. with no action taken.
All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:29 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, March 21, 2022 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary