Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 10-18-2021

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 18, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Added Executive Session for confidential CDL records & road line painting
Approval of October 4, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to approve minutes of October 4, 2021 as written. All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they dug out beaver dams a couple times on Bullock and Ferson Roads.  
Arlan reported they worked on the shoulders today.
Tom and Scott graded today.
Tom reported there was water backed up on the Cram Road and requested Arlan check to see if it was just a clogged culvert or beaver problem.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that according to Gary Foley, who is in charge of the line striping, they do not have a timeline for Class 2-line striping yet.  Leicester Whiting Road and Lake Dunmore Road have been noted as a priority and they are hopeful they will be completed this year.  There is a lot of uncertainty due to a paint shortage this year.  No guarantees.
Julie reported she got the quote from Cargill.  They are quoting $72.31.  American Rock Salt is quoting $77.25.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to continue with Cargill for an estimated 600 tons @ $72.31 and authorize Julie to sign on behalf of the town.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie reported that the two trail cameras will be here on Thursday.  Fern Lake access doesn’t need one right now, so someone needs to be put up the one at the Town Shed.  
John and Arlan will put the one camera up at the town shed.
Tom asked about the status of the traffic signs.  They were ordered but Julie has not heard anything.  They will be delivered to Brad.
Julie reported there are nineteen properties that are going to be processed to tax sale.  Next week research will begin.  
Diane brought up at last month’s meeting that the Secretary of State’s Office, on behalf of the Legislative Apportionment Board, was in the process of redrawing district maps.  The Board has released a tentative Vermont House of Representative’s Legislative District for towns.  The Board voted 4-3 tentatively, to propose 150 single member house districts.  Not final until they receive town feedback.  Comments needed by November 15th.  Leicester’s status doesn’t change; it stays the same.
Weight Permits:  None
  •       Redistricting Maps – Comments by November 15
  •       Maple Broadband Budget Comments by November 3
  •       VLCT Webinar on ARPA Funds, October 19, 10:00 a.m. - Noon
LDFLA Grant Action:
Diane shared the Board’s concerns with Mr. Johnson about the Lake Champlain Basin Program for funding for improvements to the Fern Lake Boat Launch Project.
Mr. Johnson sent back a message that he appreciated the Board’s timely response with concerns and he was not going to submit the application at this time.  
Future of Town Shed, Salt Pile:
Tom and Brad reported about their fact-finding meeting with Mike Winslow in regard to the Town Shed.  Mike Winslow stated that there is not enough room to do anything with the shed.
Brad stated he thinks they should be looking for an alternative piece of property because of the size and wetlands.
There was discussion on looking for sites in a central location near center of town.
Winter Prep for Buildings:
  •       Cleaning furnace of Meeting House – Brad will call David Crane
  •       Check water pump at Meeting House – Ron will check pump
  •       Ron will check vents at Meeting House
  •       Arlan has two signs for the Town Office for snow falling off the roof
o   Arlan will remove snow that falls off the roof into parking area
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom and second by John to go into Executive Session at 7:22 p.m. to discuss confidential CDL Records exempt per 1 V.S.A. § 313 (a)(6) and potential legal matter.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to come out of Executive Session at 7:52 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Ron and second by Brad with no action taken on CDL records.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to have Cree contact Jim and tell him to hold off on court action or anything else for two weeks and revisit the topic at the next meeting.  4 yes and 1 no
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:55 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, November 1, 2021 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary