Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 06-07-21


Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 7, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, John Rouse
Members Absent: Brad Lawes
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Added Roadside Garbage and Cemetery
Approval of May 17, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of May 17, 2021 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that a resident sent a message about roadside mowing on Bullock Road and stated that the person doing the mowing drove over a turtle laying eggs and she does not want tax dollars going to that.
Julie reported receiving a letter from Brian Sanderson that Leicester’s application for paving grant has been recommended for approval.  Work cannot be started until an execution of the grant has been made.  Should not start before July 1, 2021, and grant is officially received.
Julie reported about the letter updating the Phase III Archeology Dig.  It is going nicely and significant deposits have been found in the Northwest quadrant.  The current plan is to wrap everything up by the 19th or 20th.
A site visit can be scheduled, if interested.  There was some vandalism reported at the site and reported to the State Police.
Julie reported that the administration of vt.gov domain is now free.  There is an opportunity to get a .gov address if the Board would like.  It makes a more secure web-site than .org.  It requires a letter from the Selectboard signed by the Chair.  Julie will research more information.
Board is good with Diane moving forward with the letter after Julie has finished researching.
Julie reported that they had a request for a certificate of approval of location for a salvage yard.  Julie forwarded this request to the Zoning Administrator for review.  The Zoning Administrator sent a certified letter to the applicant explaining that the Town of Leicester’s Unified Zoning Regulations do not allow junk or salvage yards in any zoning district.    
Julie provided a grant from ACRP for the next round of Municipal Grants & Aid Program for signature.  $6,100 from VTrans, $1,525 from Town.
Board is in agreement for Chair to sign the Grants & Aid Program letter on behalf of the Board.  Diane signed.
Julie reported that they may be able to use ARPA funds for more digitization or indexing land records.  A possibility for our web-site to add credit card payments for non-in-person use.  She will await future clarification.  Until VLTC gets their person in place, they are still unclear.
 Road Foreman:
Arlan asked if Mike looked at Hooker Road yet.  Diane did not know.
Diane will reach out to Mike.
Arlan reported that on Route 53 passed Bob LaPorte’s there are two 18” culverts that should be changed. Arlan plans to take out the one by Jason Disorda’s closer to the town line.
Arlan reported they hauled about 1,000 yards of winter sand. 
Weight Permits:
Arlan signed two weight permit.
Tom reported some problems at the cemetery because it has been so dry.  He recommends that they not mow so often.  A lot of the area there has no grass.
Tom will talk with Gus.
Roadside Garbage Dumping:
Ron reported that two days after Green Up he found two bags of garbage on Bullock Road.  He took the garbage and went through it and found identifying information finding out who it belonged to.  It was someone from Brandon.
Ron will contact Addison County Sheriff’s Department since it was dumped in Addison County to find out the next steps.
Tom brought up some other garbage issues in Leicester Junction and Cram Road.
The Sheriff needs to change the camera location at the Town Shed.  Diane has been trying to contact Peter.  Perhaps Ron can mention it when he calls Peter and Julie will email him.
Diane reviewed correspondence.
  •       Emergency Management
  •       Rural Water Infrastructure
  •       Mobile Home Park – Lorraine Johnson
  •       Tree Warden Training
  •       Age Well – to Leicester’s web-site link
  •       Alternative Fuel Corridors
  •       Substance Abuse
  •       Covid ARPA Funds
Traffic Monitoring Devices:
Tom reported that the salesman, Mark Gregory, offered to come to Vermont to meet with Board about the monitoring devices.  
There are funds available in the highway budget and/or equipment budget.
Tom will contact him and report back.
Executing Health Order:
Chree Perkins came at 7:00 p.m. and introductions were made.  Chree gave some background starting from last April.  Last year, the resident had started working on the problem, but has stopped and neighbors are complaining about the rats.  She has been there off and on and rented the house to others and she is no longer working on the problem.  Chree feels it’s a very dangerous health hazard situation.  The rats are moving two doors up and growing larger.  Neighbors are shooting them.
Chree gave the Board a copy of what she gave to the Sheriff.
Chree prepared the packet for the Sheriff’s Department to serve the Notice of Intent to Serve the Execution of the Health Order. The Sheriff is not sure he can find her, but may be able to find the boyfriend where she’s staying now.  They may not have been served yet.
Property owner has 30 days to appeal.
Chree needs a letter composed on town’s letter head, signed by the Chair, include siting the specific statutes.  Julie and Diane will work on the letter.
Condemnation is a possibility.
Town Shed:
Motion by John to adjourn at 7:43 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, June 21, 2021 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary