Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes 07-06-2022

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, July 6, 2022
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda Added Re-appointment of Health Officer & Silver Lake
Approval of June 20, 2022 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. to approve minutes of June 20, 2022 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Diane R. and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that Scott graded Cram Road and hauled sand one day.  
Sanders have been ordered.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Jason Mitchell, in the Junction, called about fireworks being set off over the gas tanks by the Depot.  They called the State Police.  They told the police they had a permit and Julie informed him that no permits were issued by Selectboard.
Julie felt it was an inappropriate place to set off fireworks with all the gas tanks and potential explosions that could happen in that area.
Diane R. stated that fireworks seemed a little extreme this year.  It was bad very late into the evening/early morning for several days.
Julie reported that Beth told her that Marcel’s trailer by Cole’s seemed to have someone living there for a while.  Beth stated that this place was a disaster and was wondering if the town could help clean it up.  The place is in horrific condition.  Beth was hoping Julie could track down the next of kin who could come and clean it up.
Julie reported that yesterday a man and lady came in and said he was the son of Roger or Joan and there was someone living there without permission with animals.  Julie felt it was a very confusing conversation.  Julie advised him to call the State Police if someone was living there illegally, call the Animal Control Officer if animals were there and gave him the number.  He asked questions about ownership.  Julie gave him a list of people he needed to contact to sort it all out.  He asked about the taxes and Julie gave him Beth’s number and Jim Carroll’s office as it was part of the tax sale.  
Diane R. shared some information about people living there. 
Julie reported that Dwayne Atwood and a lady came in to let Julie know that the garbage at Lanphear’s had been picked up but thought some was still inside and stated that Corbett’s property has garbage there and is a health issue.  Julie contacted the Health Officer who put a note on the door.
Julie reported that the town received a grant notification that it is receiving $12,500 for Hydrologically Connected Roads.
A lady from VLCT will be calling Julie on Thursday about the ARPA funds to go over what it can be used for.
The gentlemen that wanted to put up campaign signs came back and said that he looked into Salisbury’s sign law.  Julie called the Secretary of State and VLCT.  Candidates must ask permission.
The Selectboard is not allowing planted signs on town property.  It is acceptable if someone wants to stand or place a sign on a vehicle.  The Selectboard will look into adopting an ordinance before November elections.
Tom asked about the Dog Officer’s bill for picking up a deceased dog.  Julie will get more information.
Diane B. signed the form as Chair of the Selectboard for the re-appointment on 9/1/22 for Leicester’s Health Officer for a 3-year term.
Democratic Caucus on August 8th at 7:00 p.m. at the White Building.  Diane and Tom will check on the Republican Caucus date and time.
Weight Permits:
There was one weight permit.
  •   Max Kennedy is the Emergency Management Regional Coordinator 
  •   National Weather Service is hosting an informative training session, July 19th
  •   How to navigate flood resilience funding in Vermont Webinar September 1st
  •   Triathlon July 17th & August 14th
  •   Hazard Mitigation Money $11M
  •   Survey from Local Roads
  •   Regional Planning Money to Fund Transportation Studies
Silver Lake:
Tom asked if the board had seen some of the articles in the Addison Independent & Reporter newspapers and Front Porch Forum.
Lots of opposition to the Silver Lake Hut.
July 11th is the deadline for commenting.
Discussion about the opposition to the hut.
Arlan mentioned garbage being left at the Town Shed.  Tom stated he talked with Van who said most was recycling and they left $5, but there is another bag over there now. 
Julie stated we have internet at the Town Shed now, so inexpensive internet cameras could be purchased to take pictures of whose dumping.
Diane B. will call Van to pick up the garbage.
Julie will investigate cameras.
Due to not having a full board, the three items under New Business are tabled until next meeting.
Building/Grounds Needs:
VTrans Recommendations US 7 Intersection:
Cemetery Recommendations:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. to adjourn at 7:20 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday July 18, 2022
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary