Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes 10-02-2023

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 2, 2023
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, John Rouse
 
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sheriff Elmore, Sheriff Turner, Lesley Bienvenue, Sandra Trombley
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda 
 
Approval of September 18, 2023 & September 26, 2023, Minutes:
 
Motion by Brad and second by John to approve minutes of September 18, 2023, and September 26, 2023, as written.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by John and second by Diane R. authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported they repaired the road shoulders and hauled some sand.  They fixed the holes on Jerusalem Road.
 
Tom asked about the beaver problems on the Bullock Road.  
 
Arlan reported that Kurt trapped two.  They kept digging it out to get the water down so Kurt could set the traps.
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported she applied for the MERP Grant for the four buildings.  She is just waiting on Champlain Valley to get her the fuel usage and then she will send the utility part over and wait and see if Leicester is chosen.
 
Diane signed the Grant Extension on behalf of the Board.
 
Julie sent an email to Rutland Northeast Supervisory about the turnaround at Fern Lake; and she hadn’t heard back.
 
Diane Randall shared that the problem has been solved.  Julie does not need to follow up any longer.
 
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Junk Ordinance:
 
The Sheriff’s Department was present to give an update on three Junk Ordinance violations.  
 
  • They have issued five tickets to the residence on Leicester/Whiting Road all by mail as no one is home or won’t come to the door.  There have been no visible improvements.
  • Two tickets issued on the Cram Road residence. It hasn’t improved much.
  • There was one ticket issued on Shackett Road.  They have made some progress at that residence.
 
The fines are $300 per ticket.  When tickets are issued, it is then in the State’s hands.
 
There was discussion with how to proceed.  The Health Officer and Animal Control Officer have also been to the Leicester/Whiting Road residence.
 
Diane shared history with junk problems at the Leicester/Whiting Road property.
 
The Board was comfortable letting the Sheriff’s Department determine if any progress is being made.
 
The Sheriff reported that there have been three speeding tickets issued under rolling patrol.  They have not been doing stationary patrols.  They are open to doing stationary patrols if the Board would like.
 
The Board mentioned two or three spots that they could do some stationary patrols: perhaps doing a combination of rolling and stationary. 
 
Board will review the contract in December for 2024.
 
There was discussion about the park & ride.  Municipally owned park & rides are different than State owned park & rides.  
 
Julie shared an issue at Leicester’s Park & Ride with an abandoned vehicle.
 
Fire Department Discussion:
 
John talked with the Salisbury Fire Department.  They meet for their monthly meeting on Thursday.  They will let John know after their meeting if they can do it or not, and if they can, for how much, and John will report back at the next Selectboard meeting.
 
John mentioned the speed sign was not working; and it’s not the battery.  There is something wrong with the sign.  They only have a two-year warranty.
 
Pest Control:
 
Last Thursday, Diane Benware met with Josh Pockette from Pockette Pest Control.  She explained that the Board was considering some kind of rodent control plan for the White Building.  He did a very thorough inspection of the White Building inside and outside.
  •       He has two plans with a one-time initial charge of $250, which includes two outside, tamper resistant bait stations.  Inside they would seal holes and set traps.
  •       Every Month Plan Fee: $70
  •       Every Other Month Plan Fee: $85
 
Diane Randall reported that the school uses Pockette, and they have been very happy with the service.
There was discussion about the pros and cons of having a plan.  Julie stated that they haven’t been able to allow residents to use the building for showers or events.  The charge is $35 for events, the school also uses it for school activities and events, senior citizens have their bingo there.  A new stove is being donated.
 
Motion by John and second by Diane R. to use Pockette Pest Control every other month for the first year.  2 No, 3 Yes. So, approved.
 
Weight Permit:  None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Diane reviewed the correspondence file.
  • VT Sun Date changes
  • Money for homeowners to fix failed wells & septics.
  • Emergency Program for Flood Impacted Businesses
  • October 20th will be the State & Local Government Municipal Day
  • Addison County Received Disaster Declaration
  • Transportation Alternative Program and Municipal Storm Water Grant Opportunities
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Diane stated that Julie received a memo today from VLCT stating that in 2023 the Vermont Legislature passed H217 which became law June 20, 2023.  This law requires that all nonprofit entities; including municipal entities such as cities, towns, villages, and various districts must participate in unemployment insurance regardless of how many individuals they employ.   Effective July 1, 2024, all nonprofits, regardless of size, must be registered with the Department of Labor to participate in unemployment insurance, recording wages on a quarterly basis, reporting new hires and any unemployment claims.
 
Diane read the entire memo.
 
Lesley shared that she was going to propose again at the proper time, whether the voters could consider using the Ilsley Library in Addison County instead of the Brandon Library in Rutland County.  She tried this several years ago and it didn’t fly.  She couldn’t remember why Leicester used the Brandon Library.
 
The Board and Julie shared that Brandon is part of the School District and is much more convenient for many students to use Brandon Library than going to Ilsley in Middlebury.  However, others use Ilsley Library; as well.
 
Julie stated that they are not necessarily affiliated with the Brandon Library.  The town does contribute every year to the Brandon Library.  Middlebury Library has never requested funds from Leicester.        
 
Lesley will get statistics on how many from Leicester use Brandon or use Middlebury. 
 
Executive Session:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. to go into Executive Session at 7:28 p.m. for possible legal matter and security.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Diane to come out of Executive Session at 8:12 p.m. authorizing Julie to check into security options. 
 
Motion by Diane R. and second by Diane to adjourn at 8:14 p.m.  
 
 
Next meeting Monday, October 16, 2023 
 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary