Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 05-01-2023

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 1, 2023
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, John Rouse, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  Diane Randall
Others Present: Arlan Pidgeon, Doug Perkins, Robbie Devoid, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda 
Approval of April 17, 2023 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of April 17, 2023 as written.  3 yes and 1 abstention (Brad) So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Tom and second by John authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported he worked one day on Hooker Road for the hydrologically connected project.  He hauled some gravel and a load of chloride and Scott did some grading.    
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
As a follow-up to the last meeting with Mr. Harnish, Julie left a message recommending that the Board go to the Declaration of Inclusion.com web-site for further information prior to taking any action on the Declaration.  Regardless of whether the Declaration is adopted or not, the Town needs to make a statement why it was or was not adopted.  Given the volatility of the current environment she recommended possibly having some legal input; as well.
Animal Control Officer:
Rob reported he was notified on Sunday of a dog bite incident of a 3/5-year-old child at a residence in Leicester next to the Depot.  The child needed medical attention.  He shared the details of the incident with the Board.  There were three or four dogs there.  He visited the property a couple times on Sunday.  No one would come to the door.  Today he made contact with the owner/co-owner of the dogs.  He tried to find the actual ownership of the dogs and he couldn’t get information from the vet after hours.  Tomorrow he will make more calls and collect more information.
Rob gave Diane three pages of notes.
Weight Permit:  Weight permits signed by Arlan.
  •       Town Clerk of Salisbury sent a message that the Silver Lake Trail parking lot will be closed for rehab of the parking lot starting April 24th.
  •       Regional Planning Commission seeking Water Quality Project for Otter Creek Basin.
  •       Maple Broadband is still looking for one delegate and alternate.
The Regional Planning Commission does have an Emergency Mutual Aid Agreement for Public Works Departments. 
Tom mentioned that Leicester does not own its own equipment. He doesn’t feel this agreement would pertain to Leicester.
Diane will have Julie email copies of the agreement to the Board so they can review and discuss it at another meeting.
Regional Planning sent re-appointment forms for the Full Commission; as well as the Emergency Management Commission.
  •       John Rouse reappointed as Emergency Management Services Representative 7/1 – 6/30.
  •       Tom Barker reappointed as the Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) Alternate
  •       Diane Benware reappointed to the Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC)
  •       Hold off on Regional Planning Full Commission
Tom asked John about the roof. 
John called Kevin Betourney twice about the roof.  He will contact him again.
Diane mentioned the storm windows on the Brick Building.  There are Cerf Grants available again that are due the beginning of June for historical buildings.  They would need three bids for a grant application.  
OCWICD Request to add Proctor:
Doug Perkins stated that in the correspondence the Board should find a letter from Steve of OCW asking to take up the matter of Proctor joining the OCW.
Doug reported that Proctor, on Town Meeting Day, voted to join.  They sent a petition letter to the OCW saying they met the first requirement.  The next step was for the Board of Trustees of the OCW to vote to admit Proctor or not.  At the last meeting, they voted yes to admit.  On top of that, we need to amend the agreement to show that Proctor is part of the OCW.  A letter went out to all of the Selectboard Chairs of the current members; asking them to take up this issue.  The requirement is that 2/3 of them approve it.   Once 2/3 have approved it, then Proctor is officially admitted.
Tom asked if Proctor is admitted, how will that affect the total value we get from the State?  Doug stated that it won’t have any affect what-so-ever on the money we get from the State.  Doug explained that the reason is; all along the State has maintained that the number of towns isn’t important, but the number of districts in the State.
Doug stated that Proctor has 400 acres of Class II wetlands versus Leicester with 3,500 acres.
Motion by Tom and second by John to agree to admit Proctor to the OCW and also agree to the Amendment of the Agreement with the OCWICD.  3 yes and 1 abstention (Brad) So, approved.
ADA Compliance:
Board tabled the ADA Compliance until next meeting.
Motion by Tom and second by John to adjourn at 7:27 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, May 15, 2023.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary