Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 04-03-2023

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 3, 2023
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Brad Lawes, John Rouse, Tom Barker
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Robbie Devoid, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda 
Approval of March 20, 2023 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of March 20, 2023 as written.  All in favor. So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Brad authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan talked about the paving area options to possibly use for the paving grant application.  Fernville Road is 1,020 feet for $29,040.  That’s 330 ton at $88 a ton.  For $5,000 feet on Rte. 53, the quote was $146,696 for 1,667 ton.  From Bob LaPorte’s north to Road A.  Arlan also measured Old Jerusalem Road.  It was 4,750 feet for $67,232.
The application for resurfacing is due by April 15th.  $175,000 is the maximum for a grant. 
Motion by Tom and second by John authorizing Diane to sign the grant application on behalf of the Board.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Arlan called about the ditching for the Hydrologically Connected Roads Grant.  There was no response.
Animal Control Officer:
Robbie reported that there has been a lot of complaint activity in Leicester.  
Robbie has documented and sent information in an email to Julie to keep her in the loop.  He has to make some home visits.  
Julie will provide the April 1st delinquent dog list to Robbie and will also provide the paid list.
Robbie still has not heard anything from the Humane Society.
Robbie asked who he should contact on a zoning issue.  Julie provided him with Keith’s card.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that the appeal to PVR for their CLA on the three properties that she asked to be excluded was denied.  There is another appeal hearing on May 3rd at 10:00 a.m.
Julie reported there is a new opioid settlement.  The money must be spent on the abatement of the opioid crisis.  It all has to be spent for opioid related abatement.
Diane thought small towns would group their money together.  The money would go to remediation for recovery.  The money would go someplace else and not directly to the town.
Julie will ask for clarification and report back at the next meeting.
Julie reported on ADA Compliance Training on ADA Transition Plans.  In listening to this webinar, it indicates the town has to be self-assessing for ADA compliance, have an ADA Transition Plan, and an ADA Coordinator.  Julie would like to put this on the agenda for their next meeting.  She will try to finish the webinar to see what the town is legally required to do. 
Julie reported the ants are still here and a problem. 
Tom offered to help with the ants.
Weight Permit:  Weight permits signed.
Diane reviewed correspondence and passed the packet around.
  •       MRGP
  •       April is Distracted Driving Month
  •       Targeted Violence and Terrorism
  •       Forest Service Maintenance Project.
Discuss Contract with Addison County Sheriff’s Department:
There was discussion about sheriff services past and present and whether they wanted or needed a contract.  
John thought there needed to be a list of questions compiled and the Board’s expectations.
Board compiled some questions and Julie will send Sheriff Elmore the list of questions and request a response for our next meeting.
VT Fish & Wildlife Purchase:
Joan Allen, Independent Consultant for the Department of Fish & Wildlife called in and explained that she helps the State with acquisition of properties.  She sent a letter and called in to ask the Board’s support for the State purchasing an undeveloped parcel of 56.9 acres located in the swamp off Jenna Lane. 
Joan explained they always contact the town Select Boards and request the Board’s support and needs a letter from the Board indicating support of the purchase.
Board has no issues.  Board will provide a letter indicating their support of the purchase provided there is needed legal access.
Annual Review of LEMP:
Diane explained that every year after Town Meeting, towns are required to submit their plan.  Diane passed around the abbreviated form with quick information.
Diane signed and printed on behalf of the Board stating that she took the training and meets the basic criteria and they have adopted the National Incident Management System and the LEMP is in compliance and will submit to Regional Planning.
The Board discussed the State’s Hazard Mitigation Plan and reviewed their questions and gave feedback.
Diane will respond on behalf of the Board.
Executive Session: Possible Legal Matter:
Motion by Tom and second by John to go into Executive Session to discuss possible legal matter at 8:00 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by John to come out of Executive Session at 8:27 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Motion by Tom and second by John to authorize Chair to write two letters:
  •       a letter to landowner and;
  •       a letter expressing positive Selectboard support for OCW based on overwhelming town support.  All in favor. So, approved.
Next meeting Monday, April 17, 2023.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary