Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday June 6, 2016
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, John Chandler, Zack Saxe, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Add re-appointment of Town Fire Warden, grant for State bike, pedestrian program, Hazard Mitigation Plan, DRB  Lake Dunmore treatment.
Zack Saxe was recognized.  He shared his concern with the herbicide treatment of milfoil in Fern Lake.  He received his notice.  He is concerned because Fern is a small lake of 69 acres; he eats the fish and swims in the lake.  His second concern is that it would kill some of the native vegetation.  No one from the State would give him definite answers to his concerns.
Brad explained the chemical used and the process.
Diane explained that the Town does not have control of the project; it’s the LDFL Association.
Zack may call Jim Foley for more information.  He thanked the Board for listening.
Approval of May 16, 2016 minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of May 16, 2016 as written.
All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Animal Control Officer:
John reported that they are down to just a few that haven’t registered their dogs.  The few that haven’t registered their dogs may need to be issued a ticket before they take him seriously.
The Board supports John in issuing tickets when necessary to show the Town is serious.  They have had plenty of time to take care of the registrations.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that the delinquent taxes are at $93,500.
Julie received a complaint for the Board that someone has clear cut property on Ember Trail.  Mary Anne has gone out to look at the property, but it is actually an issue for Shoreland.
The Board agreed, it is a civil matter, not a Selectboard matter, and needs to go to the State.
Julie gave a zoning update.  Last week, Adam Lougee came down and went through some questions he had with the zoning regulations.  He has gone back to write up his report.  He is going to make a recommendation to the Town of Leicester.  He is going to try to make the June 28th meeting.  He will have paperwork to Julie the week before so Julie can send it out to the Board to review prior to June 28th.
 Once he reviews everything with the Board, the Board will need to make a couple more decisions.  Then they will be able to start the implementation process.  In that time frame, they need to create a DRB.  He sent an email of all the steps.  They need to get people to serve on the board.
Julie reported that tomorrow is the grievance hearing and then the listers will be determining the results, making the changes and lodge the grand list by the end of June.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to pay $13 hour to Diane to fill the new listers clerk position that will start on July 1st or August 1st when position opens.  All in favor.  So approved.
Julie reported that Brian sent the Highway Grant to the Contracts Committee.  Julie will keep the Board posted.
Julie reported that the Town did get the Milfoil Grant for $55,000.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they have done some grading, replaced sign posts, serviced the loader and hauled some gravel.
The metal was delivered for the Town Shed.
Cemetery Committee:
Health Officer:
Weight Permits:
Weight permit was approved for Beacon Sales Acquisition.
Diane reported that the Hazard Mitigation Plan was reviewed by FEMA and we should be getting a copy from Tim and go over it at an upcoming meeting for approval.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to re-appoint Rick Nicklaw, our current Fire Warden.  All in favor.  So approved. 
The form from Department of Forest & Parks was passed for signatures.
Diane reported two complaints of motorcycles doing wheelies and a vehicle going at high speed on Lake Dunmore Road.  Diane recommended they call the State Police.
Julie will call the State Police to see if they can run a patrol.
John Chandler also mentioned problems on Hooker Road.
Letters of Interest:
There were two letters of interest for the open position on the Selectboard; Mark Stacey and Tom Drew.  Chair read their letters.
John Chandler mentioned his interest, but has no prior experience on a board.
Julie will call VLCT to clarify interview process.
Interviews are tentatively scheduled for June 20th meeting at 7:00 p.m., 7:10 p.m., and 7:20 p.m.
Lake Dunmore & Fern Lake Treatment:
Brad reported that no one can use the lake the day of the treatment and the day after.  He recommended the Town put up some blocks at Fern Lake, Pinky Johnson’s and Reserve Road the day of the treatment and he hopes Salisbury would do the same at the State access: June 15th and June 16th.  Brad thinks the treating persons are creating signs.  Board agreed.
Town Shed: 
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:46 p.m.
Next Meeting:  June 20, 2016
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary