Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 21, 2016
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ron Fiske
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Roman Wdowiak, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda
Meeting with BFD Chief: Contract
Roman Wdowiak, Chief, Brandon Fire Department re-introduced himself and presented his budget analysis report.  Leicester’s fire protection contract expires January 1, 2017.
Chief explained that Leicester’s portion of the budget for 2017 has increased by $12,000 due to salaries, equipment replacement of engine, replacement of all SCBA bottles on or before 2019, hydro testing of air bottles, ladder, hose, apparatus pump testing and repair bills for apparatus and equipment.  The total contract for Leicester for 2017 is $44,000.  He provided Leicester Call Data for the past three years.
Brad stated there is a difference between a structure fire and a vehicle fire or trash fire.
Chief explained a minimum of two pieces of apparatus are deployed no matter the type of fire.  He must pay his volunteers no matter how many respond.
Diane asked if this budget was for one year or three years.  Chief stated it could be for three years.
Brad asked for a breakdown of Brandon’s $300,000 tentative 2017 fire budget.  Mr. Wdowski was willing to send a copy of 2016’s budget to Julie for the Board’s review.  2017 is still in progress.
Tom asked if he tries to bill the insurance companies.  Chief said they do not.  It is too labor intensive for volunteers for no good results.
Chief explained there is a mutual aid agreement with Pittsford.  That would be a pass along cost of labor if there was a major fire.
Tom stated he would like to take some time to review the paperwork and their budget.
Brad asked if he would consider a per incident fee.  Chief would not.  They do not put a per call cost on incidents.
Brad asked if they could get a monthly incident report of fires in Leicester in case they wanted to pursue contacting insurance companies.
Chief explained there are a lot of other expenses such as insurance and building upkeep.
The Board thanked the Chief for coming.
Tom had some other thoughts about coverage.
Julie will ask Chief for the last two years of budgets and ask if they would consider a 5-year contract.
Approval of November 7, 2016 minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to approve minutes of November 7, 2016 as written.
All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported the election went well and they had 71% turnout; 502 voters.
Julie will complete paperwork to Keyser’s for propane.  She reported the building was 42º.
Julie mentioned a resident wanted to use the building Saturday, but she felt it would be too cold in the building.  She suggested the resident contact the Church of the Nazarene.
Brad suggested she see if they can get moving on this project because the temperature is dropping dramatically.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to authorize Julie to pay Keyser.  All in favor.  So approved.
The auditors are coming the beginning of December.
Delinquents are $140,400.
Julie received a call from Virginia stating that she was very disappointed she didn’t get the position on the Board.
Julie received a call in regard to the barriers at the shed.  They felt the barriers are very low and hard to see and suggest a flag be put up.  No action taken.
Julie reported that half of the 3rd and 4th graders came to the Town Office today.  The school is doing a Town of Leicester history assignment.  The 5th and 6th graders are coming next week.  They are doing town government.  Julie extended an invitation through the Librarian to come to a meeting.
Julie mentioned that Listers have not been in for a couple weeks.  There has been nothing going on.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported they hauled sand and gravel.  They graded one day.  They did some plowing.  He removed a tree from across the road.  He had the furnace looked at in the Town Shed by Royden.
Diane mentioned that Lower Bullock Road needs some more grading.
Tom reported that Salisbury’s covered bridge will need to be brought through Leicester by Wright Construction to get to the Salisbury landfill.  Tom reported that all towns are on board with it.
Cemetery Committee:
Health Officer:
Weight Permits:
Preliminary 2017 Budget Thoughts:
Diane mentioned the $12,000 fire contract increase, municipalities having to pay an annual permit fee of $2,000 and an application fee of $400 to ANR for the municipal roads permit.
Board will start looking at the budget at the December 19th meeting.
Julie mentioned for the warning, they need to think about whether they want to move the date of taxes and whether to appoint a constable.
Tom mentioned the brick building’s ramp and hatchway door. 
Brad has it on his list. 
Town Shed: 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to adjourn at 8:10 p.m.  
Next Meeting:  Monday, December 5, 2016
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Selectboard Secretary