Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday February 1, 2016
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes
Members Absent: KenYoung
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, John Chandler, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:
Add Weight Permits
Approval of January 18, 2016 minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of January 18, 2016 as written. All in favor. So approved.
Review/authorization to pay bills:
Tom asked John Chandler about his bill. Tom stated that the dog was not from Leicester. The Board shared their concerns about getting involved with runaway/lost dogs that are not from Leicester. 
Tom stated that going to the Humane Society in Rutland to get traps to set is outside of our responsibilities. It is more an owner’s responsibility.
John did call Middlebury Humane Society, but their cages were all out.
John explained the dog was not from Leicester, but was sighted in Leicester off and on. The dog is originally from Florence.  He was captured in Chittenden.  He received a lot of phone calls from sightings.  He stated that he didn’t do much chasing himself.  He gave the history of what had happened.
The Board will ask for a contribution on the bill from the owner of the lost dog. There were 19 hours @ $285 for this one particular non-resident dog.  The Board authorized Julie to send a copy of John’s report and bill to the dog owner.
John has been hanging up reminders about registrations which are due by April 1st.
Chair reminded John to keep in mind that their budget for animal control is $2,000 for the entire year. John stated he would keep that in mind.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve the bills. All in favor.  So approved.
Weight Permits:
Weight permits were approved for Hendy Bros, LJM Construction, LLC, Barrett Trucking, D&F Excavating & Paving, Newport Sand & Gravel/Carroll Concrete, J.P. Carrara & Sons and Velco.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they did a little plowing, and he ordered some salt.
Arlan reported that the loader has a leak out of the injector pump. Arlan said Windmill Equipment will come to fix it when they receive the part. 
Arlan mentioned the chloride tank. Brad offered to make a donation of a 1,500 gallon stainless steel tank to the Town of Leicester and he will let the town buy a 2,500 gallon flat bottom tank at his cost.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported delinquents at $125,900.
Julie is working on the milfoil grant application.
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to allow Selectboard Chair to sign documents on behalf of the Board. All in favor.  So approved.
Julie asked Board to consider using the Salisbury’s Unified By-Laws as a template for Leicester’s zoning by-laws. Julie stated that she and others have done a lot of work already and there will be 6-8 more weeks; minimum with the Poultney Plan.  After reading Salisbury’s by-laws, Julie thinks it is well written, easy to follow, and it’s practically us already. It has all the things the Board has been going around and around about. It has the subdivision, flood plan, plus they have their DRB.  Julie thinks two good meetings could get things where they need to be to be reviewed by legal counsel.
Julie asked the Planning Commission if they would read the plan and consider it. She has already heard back from one that is willing to proceed.  The others appeared to be interested and open to it.
Julie asked the Selectboard to consider going with the new Salisbury By-Laws plan and take copies home to read and respond with feedback to her by Friday. Julie thinks it is easy to read and clear.  There is a lot more work to do and a lot of time involved going with the Poultney Plan, but a lot less work and less time going with the Salisbury Plan.  Basically just starting over.  Julie needs to know from everyone what they think before the next PC meeting so she knows how to prep for the next meeting.
The Planning Commission meets next Tuesday, February 9th at 6:00 p.m.
Julie reported Town Meeting is February 29th and she needs help setting up for the March 1st Presidential Primary.  She needs counters and drivers.
Julie mentioned her concerns about security due to all criminal activity in the Town of Leicester recently. She thinks they should put cameras on the agenda. 
Cemetery Committee:
Price of plots need to be revisited. They need to do the plot plan for the new section. 
Rules and regulations for burial rights need to be done.
Tom asked Julie if the Undertakers were giving Julie a body transmittal form. It should be on everyone buried in recent years.
Tom stated that the committee will work on updating the old section maps. He has the new maps and they are all numbered.
There is a letter from Rutland Town asking for support from Vermont municipalities for Act 248 focusing on regional impacts in regard to sighting of renewable energy projects and stating legislative changes are needed.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to approve adoption of the Rutland Town Resolution. All in favor.  So approved.
Julie will scan and email the signed document.
Town Shed:
Limited Public Opinion:
Executive Session:
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:42 p.m.
Next Meeting: February 15, 2016
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary