Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 3, 2014
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ken Young
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Review of Agenda:
Ken asked why they were not collecting insurance checks from homeowners for fires to help with the increased costs for fire coverage. There was discussion about how things were handled in the past and that car fires were the hardest to collect. In the past, Diane sent letters to homeowners, but hasn’t done so in the past five years. Most letters were ignored. She did get a few checks. No one was really clear whether or not the BFD received checks from the insurance companies or homeowners. Ken recommended that Board members contact their own personal insurance agents to see how policies are written.
Approval of January 20, 2014 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of January 20, 2014; with changes. All in favor. So approved. Paragraph below was changed for clarification purposes under Budget 2014 Final Draft.
Julie cannot tell what the increase in the tax rate will be exactly because the grand list is not done. If the grand list were to stay about the same, people would see a tax increase of about $14.60 per 100,000. That doesn’t include the extra $20,000 for paving and the Foxcroft appropriation. If both pass, then they would see about $29 per 100,000 total.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Julie explained some things in the bills.
Julie explained that she needs to transfer $19,500 from the highway restricted funds to the highway general fund to cover current highway expenses.
Arlan requested an increase in his hourly rate for equipment rental from $35 per hr to $50 per hr for backhoe.
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to approve the increase in equipment rental hourly rate from $35 to $50 per hour for backhoe. All in favor. So approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie expects to have loan documentation at the next meeting.
Julie let everyone know they are applying for another Milfoil Grant and the application will be mailed tomorrow.
Julie stated they need to have a BCA meeting just before the next Selectboard meeting on February 17th at 6:20 p.m.
Julie wrote an article for the Addison Independent on their 2014 budget. The Board was given a copy.
Julie asked if Brad was getting information from BLSG about the changes to the meetings. They are sending them to town clerks. Brad said he is not. Brad is going to the meeting on Thursday.
Julie asked if the Board knew that the Leicester Store is closing on February 7, 2014.
There were two weight permits for Arlan to review from D&F Excavating and Newport Sand and Gravel. Weight permits were approved.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they have used quite a bit more salt and they had ice in the road at the Junction that was taken care of.
Listers: None
Cemetery Committee: None
Zoning Administrator: None
Certificate of Mileage:
Certificate of Mileage was signed.
Community of Vermont Elders:
They are offering educational presentations for up to 15 people. Diane passed flyer around.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve the bills. All in favor. So approved.
Senior Center Building Needs:
Ron explained that the door has been built. Ken informed the Board that it is a reconditioned door. Julie shared some information that she had heard. Julie thinks the insulation has been put on the outside and is a vapor barrier issue. Ron needs to talk with him about the tar paper.
The Board shared their concerns about the length of time this project has taken.
Diane will draft a letter from the Selectboard stating their concern about the length time this project has taken and that it is imperative it be completed before Town Meeting. With Town Meeting fast approaching, they anticipate questions from the public. It was suggested that if it cannot be completed by February 17, to invite him to the February 17th Selectboard Meeting. Diane will send a letter tomorrow.
Ron has contacted the electrician for the other building. He hasn’t heard anything back.
Tom brought up the lakeshore tax fee of $50 now being discussed in the legislature. Tom wants the Town of Leicester to go on record that they are opposed to the bill.
Julie stated that the Clerk/Treasurers are not in favor of this bill.
Diane will write a letter on behalf of the Town and send the letter to our Representatives and to VLCT.
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to adjourn at 7:40 p.m. All in favor. So approved.
Next Meeting February 17, 2014.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary