Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 17, 2014
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ken Young
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Kate Briggs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Review of Agenda:
Approval of February 3, 2014 Minutes:
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to approve minutes of February 3, 2014; as written. All in favor. So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that delinquent taxes were at $105,200. Taxes are coming in. Beth sent notices of tax sale.
Julie mentioned they need to schedule an abatement hearing. Julie would like to hold the meeting after Town Meeting. The meeting was scheduled prior to the next Selectboard meeting on March 17, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. Julie will send out notices.
John Lecompte called about his culvert. Arlan will be talking with him.
There is a salt survey in the packet. Decision not to complete the survey.
Willem Jewett called and left a message about Diane’s letter about the $50 fee. Willem said it was a long way off and it has been said that it is an unworkable fee and thanked them for the letter.
Lt. Mike Manley is now the State Police Officer in charge of the bike races. Julie shared the bike racing triathlon’s history with him. He is trying to bring himself up to date with it. He is going to contact Salisbury and Leicester to coordinate a meeting.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they have been doing their regular winter work. Received a load of salt today.
Zoning Administrator:
Kate talked about zoning by-laws. They need to go through the process for technical review. VLCT needs the scope of the work; more specific. There is a ZBA meeting Tuesday, February 25, 2014. Kate recommends that every meeting be warned as a dual ZBA and Planning meeting. They may possibly discuss who might go to VLCT at the February 25th meeting.
Kate discussed that they would start with the business economic development section of the change to the regulations; making a distinction between home-based occupation, home-based business and true commercial; as well as shoreline protection.
Julie asked about the new bill they wanted that was in the VLCT newsletter, B818; defer taxes until death if you are over 65. This would be detrimental to the town’s revenue.
Brad asked about the bill for the Town Reports and asked if it is required by statute to mail a hard copy or could they send them electronically. He was wondering if they could save a $1,000 or so.
Julie said they do mail at bulk rate. Julie felt it might be unmanageable to do some electronically and some hard copy. Julie said we could warn it next year.
Diane mentioned that at Town Meeting, they could have an informal survey to see how people feel about it.
Brad asked about the fuel bills and whether the town pre-pays or not. He wondered if they could look into it. They will talk about it again later in August.
Ron & Arlan talked about repairs to the furnaces
Listers: None
Cemetery Committee: None
Weight Permits:
Arlan reviewed the weight permits and Brad signed.
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to approve the bills. All in favor. So approved.
Request by Church of Nazarene:
The Church asked if they could be listed on the town’s web-site with a link to their web-site. The Board thought perhaps just having a listing of church services and listing the two churches Nazarene & St. Agnes Catholic and links to their pages.
Request by Girl Scouts:
The Girl Scouts asked if they could sell cookies in the foyer of the Meeting House at Town Meeting from 6:00 – 7:00. The Board thought 6:00 would be too early and approved it for 6:30 p.m.
Brad and Diane said BLSG is all taken care of.
Diane mentioned a letter from Kim Butterfield to the Selectboard for a right of way access petition for a parcel of land. Diane read the letter.
Selectboard did not think they had the authority to establish a right of way and it would be a court matter.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to allow Diane to contact Town Counsel for advice on this issue. All in favor. So approved.
Diane will get back to Kim Butterfield.
The Vermont Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security has a new local Emergency Operations template which needs to be filled out by May 1st. Diane will contact Tim Boutin at ACRP asking how to fill this out.
Need for 2nd delegate to ACRPC:
Leicester now qualifies for a second delegate to ACRP.
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve Diane Benware as Leicester’s second delegate to ACRP. All in favor. So approved.
Diane mentioned that we also need two alternates; which we can discuss at another time.
Approve Loan:
Julie has requested a $200,000 LOC at 1.79% interest rate for a tax anticipation note.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve the Tax Anticipation Note with Lake Sunapee. All in favor. So approved.
Senior Center Building Needs:
Diane sent a letter to Mr. Munger with the Board’s recommendations. Nothing more has been done to the building and he has not contacted the Board.
Brad will call Sonny about the door.
Ron mentioned that someone else should learn how to run the sound system. Julie mentioned that someone from the school should know; as well. Julie will contact Diane Randall.
Tom asked about the garbage at the residence in Leicester Junction. Diane wants to call the State.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:44 p.m. All in favor. So approved.
Next Meeting March 10, 2014 as March 3, 2014 is Town Meeting.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary