Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, January 19, 2015
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Brad Lawes
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Tim Boutin, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Review of Agenda:
Under Building Needs: Mowing and Posting Board at Town Shed
Correspondence: Draft language from ACRP in regard to guidelines for solar panels.
Letter from Town of Rutland Selectboard requesting all town’s in Vermont to show their support by signing document.
Lake Dunmore Fern Lake Assn Symposium
Approval of Minutes of January 5 & January 12, 2015:
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to approve minutes of January 5 and January 12, 2015 as written. All in favor. So approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Ron and second by Ken to authorize Treasurer to pay the bills. All in favor. So approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan did not have much to report. They have been plowing. The salt and sand looks good right now.
The log is ready and side the road for the culvert.
Glen Peck put the lights in the town shed last Friday.   Six lights inside and all three outside.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that delinquents are at $119,433. She has been working on the Town Report and closing the year out.
Julie was not happy with the service of the photocopier.
Health Officer: None
Zoning & Planning Commission:None
Cemetery Committee: None
Weight Permits:
There was a weight permit for D&F Excavating for Arlan’s review. Brad signed.
Hazard Mitigation Plan: Tim Boutin:
Introductions were made.
Tim came to review the Hazard Mitigation Plan document that he had prepared to present for the Board’s approval.
He explained that the Plan will go to FEMA next. FEMA hopefully approves pending adoption (APA) or sends it back for corrections and then the Selectboard adopts it.
Tim went over the most critical pieces to be sure the Board supports these projects if money is available:
  • Wide spread power failure
o   Generator for the school or school’s well
  • Green Mountain Power to trim power lines
  • Hazardous materials
  • Safety measures at Junction of Rte. 7 – Letter to VTrans
  • Intersection of Leicester Whiting Road and Old Jerusalem Road – High Risk Rural Roads
  • Mosquito-borne illnesses – Funds to support district in budget – provide information at Town Office
  • Earthquake – provide information at Town Office
  • Winter ice storm – highway budget
  • Drought – Waste water rules
  • High winds – currently remove dead trees
  • Structure fire – dry hydrants
  • Planning Commission will explore driveway standards
  • Wildfire – informational brochures
  • Flashflood – Road and Bridge Standards – replace culverts when necessary
  • Flooding – training for person
  • Planning Commission – stringent flood plain or river corridor regulations
  • Update flood plain maps
  • Road projects
  • River corridors
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve the Hazard Mitigation Plan and forward the Plan to FEMA. All in favor. So approved.
Tim shared a copy of our current flood plain map and another map that the State has designated as the river corridor.
Tim explained that once the Board adopts the plan(s) they will be entitled to more FEMA dollars.
Tim provided two model flood plain regulations that the State is recommending. They are very similar to what the town already has.
Tim recommended not adopting an overlay with the flood plain regulations. He thought slopes would be a good place to adopt an overlay. Kevin at ACRP can do the mapping for a slopes overlay. Tim thought it would be approximately $300 to do the mapping for an overlay.
ACRPC has hired a new Transportation Planner.
Symposium on Milfoil:
There will be a Symposium on Milfoil Management sponsored by LDFLA Friday, January 23, 2015 at Naylor & Breen’s in Brandon. Lunch from 1:00 – 1:30 and panel presentation from 1:30 – 2:30.   Please RSVP by Wednesday.
Working with Planning Commission:
Diane reported that the PC made it through the template document. One of the things the PC and the Selectboard need to decide is whether to continue with our ZBA and PC Boards or to go to a Developmental Review Board model. Diane will contact Town Counsel about a Development Review Board model to see if he could come to a joint meeting of the Boards to talk about the pros and cons.
Diane shared a memo from Adam Lougee, siting guidelines for solar development and he recommends some version of this go into municipal plans.
The Selectboard received a letter from Rutland Town Selectboard asking for support of the resolution to form a coalition of Vermont communities which will support reasonable legislation addressing the issue of solar siting in our State.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve support of the Rutland Town resolution. All in favor. So approved. Chair signed.
Reappointing ZBA/PC members:
Board reappointed Bill Shouldice and Jeff McDonough to ZBA/PC until November 2017. All in favor. So approved.
Approved Budget:
Approve & Sign Warning:
The voters are warned and notified to meet at the Leicester Meeting House on Monday, March 2, 2015 at 7:30 pm or immediately following the School District Meeting to transact the following business:
  • To hear the auditor’s report
  • Shall the voters of the Town vote to approve a sum of $574,282.88 to defray the necessary expenses and liabilities of the town for the ensuing year, divided as follows:
o   General Town Expenses $271,947.88 – Amount to be raised by taxes: $201,612.18
o   Highway Expenses $302,335.00 – Amount to be raised by taxes $237,876.09
  • Shall the voters of the Town approve an additional sum of $20,000 for road paving?
  • Discussion of articles to be voted by Australian ballot.
  • Further business.
The Town Meeting shall adjourn until 10:00 AM Tuesday, March 3, 2015.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve the warning. All in favor. So approved. All signed.
Review Town Report:
A tear-off postcard will be put in the Town Report as a survey for VT Gas Pipeline. Voters can drop it off at the Town Office, mail it in, or they may have a drop box at the polls.
The auditors reviewed all the numbers. The school section with be blue.
Julie thanked Ron Fiske for hanging the posting notice board at the Town Shed. He ordered and put up 2 pieces of Lexan to help with the wind issue.
Julie clarified for Calvin Loven the mowing he is supposed to do. He is to do the Town Office as needed, the three triangles 1x per month and the Access 1x per month.
Certificate of Highway Mileage:
No changes. The Board signed.
Public Opinion: None
Executive Session, if needed:None
Motion by Ken and second by Tom to adjourn at 8:31 p.m.
Next Meeting: February 2, 2015
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary