Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 5, 2014
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ken Young
 
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Kate Briggs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
 
Review of Agenda:
 
Approval of April 21, 2014 Minutes:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve minutes of April 21, 2014; as written. All in favor. So approved.
 
Review/Authorization to pay bills:Bills making their rounds for signatures.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that delinquent taxes were at $88,800.
 
Julie reported she had to borrow money to pay bills.
 
Julie doesn’t plan on paying BLSG until around September when she starts getting money. She prefers not to borrow money to pay BLSG. The Board supports Julie’s recommendation.
 
Julie reported that a girl found an 1874 grave stone for twins with the last name of Brooks at the rental house by the store. Julie will call and see what her intentions are.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported they did some grading. He got some road closed signs, but needs to make the stands.
 
Arlan has the new school bus signs.
 
Arlan asked about winter sand. He will go look at it and talk about terms with Gary. He would like to draw sand when there is not a lot going on.
 
Julie asked about the school doing things/field trips on town lands. The school children went over to the town shed to the wetland. Julie was concerned over the insurance risk. Julie explained to the school that she had spoken to a few Board members and that the only concern brought up was that of the wetland area and the insurance risk for kids and until the meeting tonight, the Board could not make a decision and they were welcome to come and speak with the Board. They did not come.
 
Chair stated that it probably wouldn’t hurt to find out about insurance liability.
 
Zoning Administrator:
 
Kate sent a letter to Dale Counter in regard to the zoning violations. He came in today very angry stating he is going to sue the Town for harassment because we are not enforcing against others. He named nine people. There are zoning violations and there are other violations. Dale doesn’t see it.
 
Kate talked about the junk yard ordinance and they have no one to enforce this. Our town junk yard ordinance says 90 days and the vehicles have been there more than 90 days. We have to start the process. Kate talked with Jim Carroll about this and he explained that the junk yard pursuit is just as difficult and expensive as a zoning issue except that the language is clearer. The junk yard situation is a clear path; where the zoning regulations are not a clear path.
 
Kate stated she would go forward in whatever direction the Board sends her.
 
Green Up Day Feedback:
 
Kate reported that Green Up went very well. Within twelve hours they found more trash along the road. She did find identifying information at one site. She called the Sheriff’s Department and Oscar Gardner came out to pursue it.
 
Diane had a similar situation on Old Jerusalem Road. She could not find personally identifiable information in the window blinds, vacuum cleaner and truck bed liner and so on.
 
Diane reported they had 44 people for lunch. It was an incredible turnout from our town.
 
Kate thinks we need a higher deposit on bottles and cans. She will talk to our legislature.
 
Kate reported that the Conference Committee passed the House version of the Shoreland Protection Bill.
 
Kate talked about people on Indian Trail calling her about things that the fisherman were doing along the shoreline.
 
Kate asked what the Board wants to do as a Town about the gas line. She asked if they wanted to go on record about setbacks. She asked if they wanted to adopt something.
 
Diane explained that Vermont Gas was on the agenda for tonight.
 
Kate is meeting with the new wetlands person about new fill being drawn to Jeff Smith’s property.
 
Weight Permits:
 
Arlan reviewed the weight permit and Brad signed.
 
Cemetery Committee: None
 
Listers: None
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to authorize Treasurer to pay bills. All in favor. So approved.
 
CORRESPONDENCE
 
Human Services Coordination Plan:
The Vermont Agency of Transportation is collecting information for the Human Services Transportation Coordination Plan for elderly, disabled or other needs. There were five questions.
The Board answered the five questions.
 
High Risk Rural Roads Info:
 
Diane found that the guardrail work is part of the HRRR Grant.
 
Julie reported that the signs don’t match the motor vehicle ordinance. The new stop sign needs to be added to the ordinance. Some other changes need to be made to the speed limit signs and ordinance. There are three areas that don’t match the ordinance.
 
Tom and Ron explained that in order to change the ordinance you must have a traffic study and an engineering study.
 
Julie thinks there needs to be another Leicester/Whiting Road sign at the T intersection of Swinington Hill Road and Leicester/Whiting Road.
 
Diane will find out how to proceed.
 
Approve VTrans Transition Plan:
 
Julie explained that VTrans is going to be fixing Rte. 7 from Brandon to Salisbury. They want the Board to say it is ok to go into the Town’s right of way. Board agrees and finds work acceptable.
 
Appointment Forms: ACRPC
 
Diane Benware and Randy Bisbee are the two delegates to the Addison County Regional Planning Board of Commissioners. Diane is also the delegate to the Addison County Transportation Advisory Committee. Diane signed the paperwork.
 
NEW BUSINESS
 
Vermont Gas Meeting Planned:
 
Steve Wark called Diane. They are reaching out to communities. Diane invited Steve and Eileen to the May 19th Selectboard meeting.
 
Tom explained that in Salisbury it was just an informative meeting. They talked about Phase III going to Rutland.
 
Kate mentioned that we have this ongoing thing with people in our town that want us to adopt things in our zoning regulations. We already decided not to change the Town Plan. Kate asked where we go with this.
 
Diane stated the advice she got from Monkton is that we should get a sense of how the community feels. If they do come on May 19th to reach out to us; then the next step would be to invite people to a public meeting where they can air how they feel.
 
Tom doesn’t want it to be all negativity; as before. He thinks the people need to hear both sides of this.
 
Kate is asking for direction and guidance to move the zoning by-laws forward. She wants to find a path.
 
Brad spoke that we haven’t been officially notified of where it’s going or when it’s going. They don’t have an official response at this time because they have no information at this point. It’s all speculation.
 
Kate stated it doesn’t matter what they are going to do, we need to state what we want for guidelines for our town.
 
Diane stated that recommendations from Cornwall and Shoreham are exactly that. Your Town Plan or Zoning Regulations should say energy transmission should be X number of feet from residences.
 
There was more discussion about the gas line.
 
A standard setback for other towns is 300’ in zoning regulations.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Diane to incorporate language to put a 300’ setback from residences. 2 Yes and 3 No
 
Brad feels someone needs to provide more information.
 
There is a meeting Thursday night at Otter Valley from 5-8 pm on the proposed plan.
 
Security Measures Needed:
 
Tonya Counter stopped by the school and Town Office to inform them that they have observed activity of teenagers trying to break in to the Town Office. They also believe that heroin sales are happening on the playground. Cars are driving out on the ball field. The school has had vandalism. They are pad locking their trash and recycling bins.
 
Mike Forte is willing to quote the town for cameras.
 
Julie will research pricing from Mike and others.
 
There was discussion about a Neighborhood Watch.
 
OLD BUSINESS
 
Reserve Road/BBR Grant Turn Back:
 
Tom talked about plans for the Reserve Road. Tom and Arlan went out. Mr. McDonough is in favor of the fence being put up at the edge of his property.
 
It will be less than $1,000 for materials.
 
Arlan will talk with Jeff tomorrow and report back.
 
Diane will contact Alan May and turn back the Better Back Roads Grant.
 
Hazard Mitigation Plan Work Meeting:
 
Tim Boutin is available on Thursdays. Diane will email him about a tentative date of May 29th.
 
Junk Ordinance Enforcement:
 
Mort knew someone that was willing to be an enforcer that was not from town. There must be a designated person to enforce the ordinance.
 
During green up Diane became aware that there are places that need attention.
 
Kate recommended the town have an amnesty one week before green up where people could bring stuff to the Town Shed and it will be part of green up. It won’t cost them anything.
 
Ken mentioned that Anne was nervous about the kids along the side of the road during green up and maybe they should have bright colored bags to use as vests.
 
Kate can get more florescent vests for next year. Kate stated the kids did an incredible job.
 
Kate hopes the town will support getting the deposit increased for bottles and cans.
 
Senior Center Exterior Building Needs:
 
Ron reported they are waiting for better weather.
 
Tom put a new flag at the cemetery.
 
Tom mentioned they have had an influx of people buying several lots at a time. Some family members are not Leicester residents. There was discussion about the price of lots and perhaps the time has come for the need to raise the price. They will talk about it Thursday, May 15th at the Cemetery Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
 
Brad recommends that they find out what the State regulations are for a junk yard license; or what the definition is of a junk yard.
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION: None
 
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:50 p.m. All in favor. So approved.
 
Next Meeting May 19, 2014.
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Secretary