Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 7, 2014
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ken Young
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Kate Briggs, Jeff Lee, Diane Harvey, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Review of Agenda:
Approval of March 17, 2014 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of March 17, 2014; as written. All in favor. So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Weight Permits:
Arlan reviewed the weight permits and Brad signed.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Jeff reported that he and Diane had eight hours of training in Morrisville. Jeff asked if they would get paid for travel time. Board agreed they should get paid.
Diane reported they have taken some classes.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that delinquent taxes were at $89,900.
Dog licensing went well. She sent out post cards and there were many dogs registered ahead of time or on time. There are half the delinquents as last year.
Julie is sending a list of delinquent dogs to Paul. She would like to encourage Paul to hand out fines.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they have hauled gravel. Scott has done some grading on Hooker and Delorm Roads.
Someone from the railroad called and wants to meet with them. Arlan will call him back.
Arlan needs to look at culverts. There are some driveway culverts that need to be dug up and cleaned out.
The Jenna Lane road sign has been stolen.
Jeff thanked Arlan for the work done on the Brandon/Leicester line wash out.
Zoning Administrator:
Kate talked about doing something about the commercial activity just north of the store. She is proposing sending a letter to every commercial activity on Route 7 and say under our zoning regulations we are holding a hearing to look at all of these properties together. Kate explained that a home occupation is invisible versus a commercial activity which is supposed to have conditional use review. They would be done in groups and let everyone have a conditional use review in stages and bring everyone into compliance.
Board advised Kate to treat each one as an individual zoning violation.
Green up is May 2nd. Lem Palmer is willing to do green up/clean up this year. Julie will call Lem. The budget is $525.
Ken suggested calling Ann about the Harvest Program helping out with Green Up.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve bills. All in favor. So approved.
Joan Giddings, on Maple Run Road, left a message about her mailbox being destroyed. Julie will draft a letter that puts the Road Maintenance Policy in it.
Cemetery Work:
Jeremy New came in and wanted to put in a bid for cemetery mowing.
The Board has already committed for this year, but will consider his bid next year and he should come see Julie in December.
Paving Grant:
The deadline for the Town Highway Class II Roadway Program is Friday.
Arlan thinks a good road paving project would be Fern Lake Road. Arlan will measure on Fern Lake Road.
Annual Highway Financial Plan:
Julie did all the work for the financial plan that she could do.
Board signed the financial plan.
Local Emergency Operations Plan (LEOP):
The State has redone the plan that is being requested of all communities due on May 1st. Diane went to see Tim Boutin at Regional Planning.
  • Page 1 are the points of contact; Town Clerk, Selectboard Chair, Emergency Coordinator.
  • Pages 2 & 3 are checklists of all the things you need to do in the event of an emergency.
  • Page 4 is the high risk population; the school, residences in Leicester Junction flood area, Day Cares.
  • 2nd Planning Task is to identify major hazards; flooding areas, propane leak and power failures.
  • Page 5 is the predesignated Local Emergency Operation Center; the Town Office and a mobile van from Middlebury Police, if needed.
  • Planning Task 4 are areas of support.
  • Jobs that different agencies would take on.
  • Page 6 shelters; Town Hall, White Building, School, Church of the Nazarene. The generator is in Arlan’s garage.  
  • Page 7; list of equipment.
  • Need to adopt as their LEOP at next meeting.
Senior Center Exterior Building Needs:
Bob Munger provided a bill for fixing the entire front of the building. He will work for $25 per hour. Ron had a discussion with him and Ron will be in charge.
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve $900 for materials and labor to Bob Munger and balance upon completion not to exceed $1,886. All in favor. So approved.
Tom brought up the garbage issue on Leicester/Whiting Road. Diane stated that she needs to work on following up on the situation as Health Officer.
Ken brought up completing an equipment inventory.
Discussion of putting up cement jersey barriers to prevent people from going on Jeff McDonough’s property. Tom will call Jeff.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:12 p.m. All in favor. So approved.
Next Meeting April 21, 2014.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley