Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 21, 2014
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ken Young
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Mort Pierpont, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Review of Agenda:
Approval of April 7 & April 14, 2014 Minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by Ken to approve minutes of April 7 and April 14, 2014; as written. All in favor. So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported his discussion with Tom Roberts about the culvert on Fern Lake Road. Gary Freegard gave a price for a head wall on both sides.
The grant has been submitted to the State.    
Arlan hopes to start the project when school is done, but the road will be blocked longer that he first thought.
Lafayette was working at the end of the guard rails on Leicester/Whiting Road. Diane will contact Darrell to see if this was part of the High Risk Rural Roads project.
Brad asked about the culvert on Shackett Road. Arlan stated that they didn’t look or talk about it.
High water is going down on Old Jerusalem Road. Arlan will talk to bus driver.
Mort Pierpont suggested the Board send a letter/email to the Department of Agriculture; pushing them to increase their efforts with BLSG. Mort has been working with Butch Shaw, Steve Carr and Willem Jewett and Willem told him to back off. He recommended sending the letter to Tim Schmaltz on behalf of the town. Explaining that town budgets have gone up, there is a lot of water this year and it is hanging around longer, and there are efforts to improve the program. Explain that we want to be sure to cover our constituents with the proper treatment of mosquitoes. The Department of Agriculture has a much larger budget than BLSG.
Mort explained the application process of the larvicide.
BLSG will be sending out pamphlets to each of the four towns by the first of May about their history, web and contact information as to how and where to report mosquitos.
Mort explained that the State is more about Entomology and not about disease or risk prevention.
Mort would like the town to consider the protocol for prevention in regard to trash removal, junk cars, and old tires.
Diane explained that we do not have anyone interested in enforcing the junk ordinance.
Tom mentioned there used to be someone from the Sheriff’s Department who went around to persons in violation. Tom will ask Don Keeler.
Julie stated that Constables cannot do any law enforcement any more.
Mort recommends that the Board have an out of town person handle these matters. If the Town comes up with what the town might pay someone, Mort has someone that is out of town that is interested.
There was discussion about how to remove the garbage on Leicester/Whiting Road. Diane has been trying to go through the Department of Environmental Conservation but has been unsuccessful in reaching anyone.
Mort gave Diane two names; Mathew Pavesko and Gary Urich as possible contacts.
Mort asked about a piece of property that the Town owns in the middle of the swamp. The Board is not interested in selling this land.
Mort asked what the process would be for the Town to adopt a program to change the habitat so we don’t have diseased bugs. What would an ordinance look like?
Diane stated the ordinance would have to have definition, purpose, requirements, enforcement and penalties, severability and effective date, public hearings, legal warnings, warn and adopt at a Selectboard Meeting.
Mort will gather up what other town’s have and see if we could use any of the language.
Weight Permits:
Arlan reviewed the weight permit and Brad signed.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that delinquent taxes were at $89,600.
She has registered 245 dogs. There are a few other dogs out there.
A gentleman from Pittsford, Eric Wager, dropped off a photo for the Town of shots around town. He went around to all the different towns in the State. Julie will get a frame and thank you card to send on behalf of the Town.
Julie reported that the State Board of Education confirmed that the town did overpay and will be reimbursed in a few months. Because education money can’t pay the town, the education money has to pay the school, and then the school has to reimburse the town. They might be paid back by June.
Julie would like to charge them interest for holding the town’s money for six months when the Town doesn’t owe it.
Julie will draft a letter on behalf of the Town to the Commissioner of Taxes explaining the impact for a small town.
Zoning Administrator: None
Listers: None
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to authorize Treasurer to pay bills. All in favor. So approved.
Received a VTrans letter on pavement maintenance starting in Brandon going through Leicester and Salisbury sometime next year.
Report of Meeting with Railroad:
Tom reported that there will be lights and gates at all crossings.
Ron stated they will be rebuilding the road 300’/150’ on each side.
There will be a new culvert put in under the town road.
Ken said the project will be completed this fall.
Hazard Mitigation Planning:
Tim Boutin is anticipating four meetings starting in mid May and going through August to identify the hazards in town; including the creek and propane tanks and substation. He is looking for several volunteers.
Diane plans on serving and hopes another Selectboard member will; as well. Tom volunteered to be the other Selectboard member. Diane will talk with Matt Brush to represent the school. Diane is hoping that Arlan will be at these meetings. Julie stated she would help if she has a buffer. Diane will contact Ray when he returns.
Green Up Day:
May 3rd. Diane stated they will be doing lunch from Noon – 2:00; bring in your green up bag and have lunch.
Ann Young has been trying to reach Kate.
Adopt NIMS (National Incident Management System):
In response to 911 and natural disasters, the Federal Government is now requiring municipalities to adopt NIMS and prove you have that.
Unless delegated to someone else, the Chair of the Selectboard is the Incident Commander. Chair went through ICS402 Incident Commander Systems Management Training last Wednesday. One of the documents they must have is an Adoption Document that Board is in agreement with Homeland Security and Preparedness, Communications and Resource Management.
The Chair signed the NIMS document.
Adopt LEOP (Local Emergency Operations Plan):
Chair signed the Local Emergency Operations Plan (LEOP) and Chair certified it has been adopted.
Senior Center Exterior Building Needs:
Ron was supposed to meet with Bob this afternoon. Bob did not show.
Sonny was paid Saturday.
Julie explained to Bob about independent contractors. He must work alone. The Selectboard would have to agree to hire any independent contractors. Independent contractors must do this work for a living and they must fill out proper paperwork and show proof of insurance before beginning any work. They can’t be subcontractors through Bob.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to advance $900 for materials and labor understanding he is working alone. 4 yes and 1 recused (Ron).
Ron will talk with Bob about the conditions of employment.
Reserve Road:
Tom talked with Jeff McDonough. They talked about a couple different possibilities; cement barriers and wooden single rail fence. Jeff would prefer the wooden single rail fence to the cement barriers. Tom said they would limit it to 20’ and people wouldn’t be parking on Jeff’s property.
There was discussion how to proceed with installing the posts for the fence.
Tom talked about the oak tree at the end of Jeff’s driveway where you come off the end of Indian Trail.
Tom and Arlan will check for survey pins and deeds and know where the property lines are.
There will be approximately 20 posts 6 x 6 and 160’ rails. Arlan and Tom will price it out and get an estimate.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:38 p.m. All in favor. So approved.
Next Meeting May 5, 2014.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley