Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, December 15, 2014
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Brad Lawes
 
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:35 p.m. by Chair.
 
Review of Agenda:
 
Correspondence:
Tim Boutin email – Hazard Mitigation Plan
Resignation of Animal Control Officer
Heat Pump
Highway Special Limits For Highways and Bridges
Wellarkes Appeal
New Business: Talk about Town Report
Executive Session: None
 
Approval of Minutes of December 1, 2014:
 
Motion by Brad and second by Ken to approve minutes of December 1, 2014 as written. All in favor. So approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to accept the bills. All in favor. So approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that delinquents are at $136,041.
 
Julie conveyed that Calvin Loven will hold his price; and the triangle is $40 once a month. He would like something in writing if Selectboard chooses to hire him again next year.
 
A citizen called the office and wanted Julie to thank the road crew for the awesome job they did on the roads during the storm.
 
Julie has a shelf that she doesn’t need anymore and needs it removed. Arlan will take care of it.
 
Julie asked if everyone noticed the town half of the bulletin board and the front of her counter. The town shed bulletin board needs to be finished.
 
 
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to authorize Julie to purchase material for an additional magnet bulletin board. All in favor. So approved.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported that he did some plowing and cut some trees.  
 
Tom mentioned that where you come off from Shackett Road, going north, there is no speed limit sign.
 
Arlan reported that the end of Jenna Lane needs a couple loads of gravel. He needs to build it up so he can turn around with the truck without getting stuck.
 
Scott ordered two sets of tire chains. Ken mentioned putting a couple of Jersey barriers and log or reflectors next to the culvert and make drivers aware. The road slants and dips right down. Something needs to be put there on the south side until the new culvert can be put in. Arlan will check this out to see what can be done.
 
Arlan received two loads of salt.
 
Health Officer:
 
Julie forwarded information to Diane about a dog bite. Paul talked with them. There was a bite, but all is ok.
 
Zoning & Planning Commission:None
 
Cemetery Committee: None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Resignation of Animal Control Officer:
 
There was a message indicating a pending resignation from Paul. Diane will put a small ad in the newspaper and an article in Leicester news.
 
Wellarkes Appeal:
 
On December 1st a status conference was held. The court issued a scheduling order and requested dates in March and April where parties would be unavailable for a trial.
 
Diane talked with Jim Carroll and he doesn’t feel the town needs him to represent the town because there is no interpretive issue that would impact the town in the future, an ordinance is not under attack and there are parties involved to give background information. He feels the neighbors can defend themselves.
 
There was discussion about how the process works for the town’s representation. There was question as to what the neighbors have to do with anything. Diane will call Jim for clarification.
 
 
 
 
Hazard Mitigation Plan:
 
Tim Boutin responded that there have been a couple language changes. In early 2015 there will be a joint meeting to hear public input or concerns. Diane will keep everyone posted.
 
Tom mentioned that if Arlan keeps track of all the tree work; there may be some FEMA money available for the storm damage.
 
Heat Pump:
 
Jim Crawford came in to the Town Office. There is a $300 rebate on the heating system. It would be $3,800 installed, after rebate. Jim asked if the town was doing something in this year’s budget or next year.
 
There was discussion about the heat pump system and whether it would save the town money. There was discussion about future technology and fuel prices coming down and perhaps the price of the system coming down in the future.
 
The Board decided to table a decision at this time.
 
Diane mentioned receiving a flyer about a Municipal Solid Waste Workshop in January about Act 148.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Budget Review:
 
Julie provided a preliminary draft of the budget. She explained the different categories; receipts, disbursements. The draft shows 2014 actual expenses to date and preliminary 2015 budget expense for the Board’s review.
 
The Board spent time going through each line item.
 
There was discussion under the highway budget about payroll.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to authorize an increase to $21 hour for Scott and $22 hour for Arlan starting January 1, 2015. All in favor. So approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Treasurer to pay the remaining bills through December 31, 2014. All in favor. So approved.
 
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to authorize Treasurer to move an amount up to $20,000 into the 2014 Reserved Equipment Fund, if funds are available, without making a major change in the amount to be raised by taxes. All in favor. So approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to increase the Town Clerk’s salary by $500 to $8,500 per year and increase the Town Treasurer’s salary by $500 to $9,000 per year. All in favor. So approved.
 
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to increase Zoning Secretary’s hourly rate from $12.50 per hour to $14 per hour starting January 1, 2015. All in favor. So approved.
 
Julie wondered if the Board wanted any changes to the Town Report this year.
 
Diane mentioned possibly having something about Vermont Gas to find out how people in town feel about it.
 
Julie mentioned perhaps a tear out survey page in the Town Report.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Highway Special Limits:
 
Arlan reviewed the form and didn’t feel we had any town bridge or highway limits. Julie will mail in the form.
 
Public Opinion: None
 
Executive Session:None
 
Next Meeting:
 
Next meeting is January 5, 2015.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to adjourn at 8:50 p.m. All in favor. So approved.
 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary