Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 4, 2014
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Brad Lawes
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
 
Review of Agenda: 
 
Approval of Minutes of July 21, 2014:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of July 21, 2014 as written.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills: 
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
The primary is at the end of the month on August 26, 2014.  Julie needs help setting up the voting booths.  The ZBA will need to move their meeting to the Senior Center.
 
Tax bills will start going out next week.
 
Julie reported that David Atherton, the new ZA, started and things have been going well and he is fielding some concerns.
 
Road Forman:
 
Arlan reported that they have done some grading, hauling sand and patching on asphalt roads.  They will be paving this week.
 
Julie confirmed that there is $50,000 in the budget for paving this year.
 
The State fixed the pot hole at Leicester Four Corners.
 
Arlan reported a new driveway on Delorm Road across from Quinn’s driveway.  No one contacted Arlan to approve it.
 
Arlan may change the culvert at Quinn’s due to problems they had last winter with freezing.
 
Tom mentioned the need to weed whack around the Town Shed.  Ken also mentioned that the Town Shed needs to be maintained.
 
 
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Tom shared some concerns about the southwest corner of the cemetery.  Tom will check it out.
 
 
Town Health Officer:
 
Diane went to the mosquito and tick born diseases meeting at Café Provence last Tuesday.  This is the start of the season for EEE. 
 
Tom mentioned the bush he cut at the Meeting House.  He reminded Ken about picking up the brush. 
 
Board authorized Tom to cut the tree that is growing up inside the lilac bush.
 
Tom also mentioned as a reminder wanting to meet with the delinquent tax collector.
 
Weight Permits:  None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
BLSG Seeking Funds:
 
Brad explained that BLSG is seeking funds because the State has not reimbursed them.  They have payroll and expenses.  They were wondering if Leicester could pay some money earlier than usual.
 
Motion by Ron and second by Ken to pay BLSG $8,000 from the General Fund. All in favor.  So approved.
 
Board authorized $28,000 to cover highway expenses from the highway restricted fund.
 
Tree Cutting – K. Sargeant:
 
Board recessed to go outside to view a tree.
 
The black locust tree just south of Kathy Sargeant’s house is rotten and dying and could become a hazard.  Kathy would like permission to cut the dying black locust tree and will assume all financial responsibility for cutting and cleaning up.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Kathy to cut the dying tree and assume all financial responsibility for take down and clean up.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Overview of Public Safety Discussion with Orwell Selectboard Member:
 
Ken had a conversation with a member of the Orwell Selectboard who has an extreme amount of frustration with the Sheriff’s Department.  He wanted to know what Leicester’s relationship was with the Sheriff’s Department.  Ken explained that Leicester does not currently have a relationship with the Sheriff’s Department and gave some reasons why.  He asked if Ken would go on a teleconference with them. 
 
There was discussion and no action taken at this time.  If he contacts Ken, Ken will refer him to Chair.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
School Water Testing:
 
Julie received the explanation from James that they require a test at the furthest outlet from the source.  They test two times a year.
 
Julie will accommodate his schedule; as we do not issue keys.
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
Posting Boards:
 
Julie reported that Bob Reed was going to come up to take measurements at the Town Shed.  He thinks Mike Many might be less expensive for the Town Office boards.  Murphy’s Metals is behind Goodro’s was another thought.
 
Julie will get a quote.
 
Lawn Care/Mowing:
 
Someone is regularly leaving dirty diapers and other garbage at the Fern Lake Access.  Calvin cleaned it up.
 
No action taken at this time.
 
Ken went over Saturday morning and bush hogged around the Town Shed.
 
Ken asked Calvin what he would charge to maintain the Town Shed area and also the triangle on the north side of Shackett Road.  Calvin gave an estimate.
 
Brad will remove the totes and work on cleaning up the brush problem at the Town Shed.
 
Arlan will get the triangle in shape and seed it down.
 
Ken will contact Calvin to mow the triangle once a month.
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Road Safety Audit Report:
 
Mario sent an email indicating installation of a new intersection sign, relocation of the 45 mph speed sign and adjusting the height of Jerusalem Road sign is the responsibility of the contractor.  Widening the road and adding white edge lines will be the responsibility of the town.
 
Arlan was going to use the rocks at the Town Shed for the base to hold the fill to help widen the road.
 
Ron and Tom talked about the brush problem on Dewey Road and other roads.  Tom thinks it needs to be cut back.
 
Arlan and Diane will go to talk with the landowner on Dewey Road to talk about traffic concerns.
 
Arlan will contact Melvin about the roadside brush.
 
Municipal Lighting Program:
 
Efficiency Vermont offers technical assistance and incentives to transition from traditional street lights to LED’s. 
 
Julie will get a street light inventory and ask about a LED upgrade from GMP.
 
Limited Public Opinion:  None
 
Motion at 8:15 p.m. by Tom and second by Ken to go into Executive Session to discuss a legal and a personnel matter.  Passed unanimously.
 
Motion at 8:45 p.m. by Tom and second by Ken to come out of Executive Session with no action taken.  Passed unanimously.
 
Motion at 8:48 p.m. by Tom and second by Brad to adjourn.
 
Next Meeting:  August 18, 2014
 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary