Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ken Young
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Tom Maniery, John Maniery, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Review of Agenda: 
Approval of Minutes of August 18, 2014:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of August 18, 2014 as written.  All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills: 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Forman:
Arlan reported that they have done some grading and hauled some gravel.  They did the worst of the low shoulder on Rte 53.
There was a lot of sign damage. 
Board authorizes Arlan to do an inventory and replace the signs.
Chair mentioned that upper Bullock has quite a few pot holes.  Julie mentioned garbage on Lower Bullock
Discussion about widening the corner down by Leicester Whiting Road and moving the road over to help with the erosion problem.  They would need to move two poles.
Julie will check the utility easements on Old Jerusalem Road.
Ken will stop in to the railroad station in Rutland to inquire about the railroad project.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported delinquent taxes were at $76,500.
The election had 43 voters with 7 being absentees.
Julie would like to start repaying the loan.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to repay the loan as funding becomes available and pay the school; as necessary.  All in favor.  So approved.
Julie is still waiting on information from Susan Eckhart on the Municipal Lighting Grant.
Daryl Benoit sent a notice of a webinar next Wednesday about Invasion Plant Management Priority Areas.
There is a webinar September 23rd on Statewide GIS Parcel Data.
Town Fair sponsored by VLCT is Thursday, October 9th in Essex Junction.  Julie is going to attend the meeting on Open Meeting Law Compliance.  They want to select a delegate to vote on behalf of the Town at the Business Meeting.  Board authorized Julie as delegate to represent them.
Julie talked about tax billing.  She was investigating the possibility of billing two times per year and the pros and cons of billing for the municipal portion first and the school later.  If they wanted to do this, they would need to check with legal counsel and it would need to be presented to the voters in March.
Julie reported a school break-in that happened about two weeks ago; of which she heard second hand.  It was not reported to Julie.  They went through a window closest to the Town Office about 9:00 p.m. at night.  The school is not sure if they took anything.  The school has installed a security camera.
Julie will inform the school that in the future, if break-ins occur, the Town should be notified about them.
Board authorized Julie to look at a security system for the Town Office.
Weight Permit:
Brad signed the weight permit for Veilleux & Son Trucking.
Cemetery Committee:
Tom reported that the Cemetery Committee meets Thursday night.
Planning Commission:
Diane reported that the Planning Commission would like to use the template from the Town of Poultney for revisions of zoning by-laws.  Legal counsel said that Poultney’s was the most current language and Leicester should make it specific and relevant to Leicester.  Diane invited the Board to attend the next meeting on September 12th.
Sandy reported that Peter was going to contact Rutland Regional Planning Commission for a template as a working editable document.
Liquor License:
Tom & John Maniery signed a lease for 1620 US Rte7 as a convenience store and gas.  They explained they are franchise business owners in the Rutland area and partners with Handy Family stores in Burlington.  They thought it would be a good traffic area.  They are doing a one year lease, then another one year; with option to buy.  Their name will be Champlain Beverage.  They hope to open in about 7-8 weeks.  They want to make it nice for this area.  There will be new pumps and awning; and they are looking at upgrading the pumps to 24/7.  They will be hands on in the business.  They will have security cameras.
The Board signed the liquor license.
They were looking at renovating the back for a liquor store sometime down the road and asked what the Board thought about it.
Due to the school being so close, the Chair is checking with legal counsel and also need to check with the Zoning Administrator. 
Julie provided the zoning regulation book and the ZA’s calling card.
The Board welcomed them to the community.
Heat Pump:
Peter Fjeld thought the board should think about the possibility of installing a heat pump for heat and air conditioning.  He thinks it would save the town a lot of money.
Julie will contact Efficiency Vermont and ask if there is a tax credit; and will ask Peter to give a ball park price for a heat pump.
Fern Lake Dry Hydrant:
Fire Chief, Roman Doviak thinks that someone has tampered with the hydrant at Fern Lake Access.  The Chief thinks it’s currently useless; as is.
Arlan and Tom will check it out and see what can be done.
Open Meeting Law Public Forum:
VT School Boards Association through Rutland Northeast is offering a workshop Thursday, September 4th from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. at Otter Valley Union High School auditorium.  Julie will be attending.  Diane will do her best to be there.  Others are welcome.
Posting Boards:
Julie went to Murphy Metals and was given a quote of $120.00 which is within budget.  Julie shared some sample metal pieces.  The one at the Town Shed will need a little roof. 
Julie explained how the school was posting their information and the school determined the Town Shed was their second posting location.  The problem being, there is currently no room at the Town Shed.
Board authorized Julie to tell the school they have to do a binder with some sort of cover and they have to maintain it.
Salt Bid:
The revised salt contract was discussed.
RSAR Old Jerusalem Road:
Diane shared a copy of the Traffic Engineering Report completed by Daryl Benoit from Regional Planning at the intersection of Old Jerusalem Road and Leicester Whiting Road.  There was discussion about the summary, street sign and speed limit signs.  They would have to do a traffic ordinance change.
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to fill in the corner on Old Jerusalem Road with big rock as Phase I of the project.  All in favor.  So approved.
Tom asked Arlan to look at the dead elm tree near or across from Bob Oliver’s house on Jerusalem Road. 
Arlan will also look at where Currie’s have cut back and trimmed.
Graffiti on Old Jerusalem Road:
Graffiti on the bridge and trestle.  There is black and white paint and blue paint on the road.  Julie received a complaint from a resident about the graffiti.  They would like it removed.
Ken will talk with the railroad company about the graffiti.  Others will look things over.
Ken reported sneakers over the wires at the intersection of Delorm Road and Fern Lake Road.  Julie will contact Susan Eckhart.
Limited Public Opinion:  None
Motion by Ken to adjourn at 8:10 p.m.
Next Meeting:  September 15, 2014
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary