Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 18, 2014
 
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes
 
Members Absent:  Ken Young
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
 
Review of Agenda: 
 
Approval of Minutes of August 4, 2014:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of August 4, 2014 as written.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills: 
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Road Forman:
 
Arlan reported that the paving was done.  Grass is growing in the common.  He cleaned around the Town Shed.  Arlan will contact Lem about mowing.  Suggest Lem wait a little while longer before he begins.
 
Arlan talked with the people on Dewey Road about the brush.  She wants to cut some of her own brush.
 
Ron stated it needs to seriously be cut back. 
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that about $60,000 in property taxes came in this week.
 
Julie received a phone call from some folks that live near the Fern Lake Access.  They requested that next year a Port-a-Pottie be put there so that people who are there have a place to go to the bathroom to avoid what is happening now.
 
Diane mentioned that they think about this when they are building next year’s budget.
 
 
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Tom reported the committee meets this week.
 
Diane reported that she had a conversation with Beth Ripley about delinquent taxes and reiterated that the Board will back her on any movement she makes.    Beth reported that final notices have been sent out, but she has a waiting period.  If nothing happens she will begin proceedings.  Beth appreciated that Diane contacted her.
 
Tom mentioned talking with the other committees about the Open Meeting Law.  Julie has something she can hand out to everyone.
 
 If Julie has the handout, Diane will bring it to the next ZBA Meeting.
 
Diane brought the Board up-to-date on the last PC Meeting and where they are.  She is meeting with Kate tomorrow to go over material she has to see what we have to do to move forward.
 
Diane asked Julie if it would be possible for the PC to have access to the computer.
 
Julie offered to do the typing if they give their edited documents to her.  They will wait until Diane meets with Kate and see what Kate has for material.
 
Weight Permits:  None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
The Cargill Salt Contract will be held for signatures until further information is gathered.  Julie, Arlan and Brad will do some research and come back to the Board on September 2nd.
 
Julie talked about the Brandon/Middlebury/Route 7 paving project gearing up.  There will be weekly email updates if anyone wants to be on the list.
 
Julie received a letter and regulations about Site Plan Review when accessing a State Highway.  Julie gave a copy to David A.
 
Terry Gildersleeves came and met with the Listers.  She found the Velco property was listed incorrectly and there was a current use issue.  Both were fixed.  Julie received a call from the Potters and the PVR was not decreased in this year’s grand list.  A cost to the town of $500.  Errors & Omissions Form was signed by Board.
 
Julie received a call from Suki and she is being audited by the Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont and they need to have an affidavit from adjoining landowners.  The cemetery is an adjoining property.  They need to know if the Town sprays the cemetery.  The Board completed the form stating the fence line is sprayed with Roundup.  The Town is not maintaining the buffer.  Julie will contact Suki.
 
Town Fair sponsored by VLCT is Thursday, October 9th in Essex Junction.  Julie is going to attend the meetings on Open Meeting Law Compliance.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
Julie contacted Green Mountain Power in regard to the Municipal Lighting Program.  Sue Eckhart was going to do some research on what they would do as far as an upgrade to LED lighting and sort out who she needed to contact and talk to.  She asked for patience; as she is new to her position.
 
Arlan wants the Board to consider some new lights at the Town Shed.  They also need some good lights inside.
 
Julie will call Vermont Efficiency.
 
Posting Boards:
 
Julie reported that Bob Reed came up and decided they are not the people to do the project.  Julie will go to Murphy Metals and see what they have.
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Tom brought up the project on Jerusalem Road.  There was some discussion on how to complete the project.  There is some money in the highway fund.  Arlan should report back with an estimate.
 
Tom also mentioned the low shoulders on the lake road.  Arlan will let it harden a little first.
 
Limited Public Opinion:  None
 
Motion at 7:55 p.m. by Brad and second by Ron to adjourn.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Next Meeting:  September 2, 2014
 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary