Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes 04-03-2017

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 3, 2017
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, John Rouse, Brad Lawes
 
Others Present:  Arlan Pidgeon, Julie Delphia, Donna Swinington, Jeff McDonough, Tom Drew, Hannah Sessions, Suki Fredericks, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda:  Added to agenda; Financial Plan under Highway.  Moved Creating the DRB to beginning of meeting.
 
Creating the DRB:
 
Diane gave background information and informed that the Uniform Zoning Bylaws will be effective Monday, April 10, 2017.   The DRB replaces the Zoning Board and the Planning Commission’s responsibility is just planning.
 
There will be five members and two alternates.
 
Tom B. explained that the current secretary does not write the Findings of Fact, but is the minute taker only.  The DRB will need to appoint a Chair and Clerk from their members to write the findings of fact.  The findings are individualized to each hearing.
 
The five current ZBA board members will be the initial members of the new DRB with Suki Fredericks and Hannah Sessions as alternates.  Being an alternate pretty much makes them a member because the Board has struggled to have a quorum.  At any point, there are not five members, the alternates would fill in the extra seats.  Perhaps the Clerk could be one of the members or alternates to be part of the proceeding.  The current board members were invited to this meeting; all were in agreement.
 
Positions are appointed, so term limits would be staggered.  The current board agreed that Donna Swinington, Jeff McDonough and Tom Drew would have a 3-year term, Peter Fjeld and Bill Shouldice would have a 2-year term and the two alternates, Suki Fredericks and Hannah Sessions, would have a 1-year term.  After everyone fulfills their term, everyone goes to a 3-year term.
 
Diane asked the members if they would like to continue to meet the usual time and dates; which are the second and last Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.  The board members agreed to continue with the second and last Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
 
The ZBA stays in effective until completion of the April 11th hearing and delivery of decision. Upon completion of its duties, the ZBA shall cease to exist.
 
April 11th, the Zoning Board meeting would be with the current five members.  They would adjourn and tart a new meeting for the DRB with seven members; which includes the alternates.  The DRB would need to elect their Chair and organize.  There should be a separate motion to appoint Suki and Hannah as alternates to the Planning Commission.
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to appoint Suki Fredericks and Hannah Sessions to the Planning Commission as alternates effective through November 2018. Affirm Bill Shouldice and Jeff McDonough effective through November 2017.  Affirm Donna Swinington and Tom Drew effective through 2019.  Affirm Peter Fjeld effective through 2018.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Motion by Ron and second by Brad to create the DRB effective April 10, 2017, setting the size of DRB to five members and two alternates.  Initial members to be Tom Drew, Jeff McDonough and Donna Swinington appointed through November 2020.  Bill Shouldice and Peter Fjeld appointed through November 2019, Suki Fredericks and Hannah Sessions as Alternates, appointed through November 2018.  All future re-appointments to be for 3-year terms.  Initial meeting of the DRB scheduled for April 11, 2017 immediately following the 6:00 p.m. ZBA meeting.  The duties of the DRB shall be as laid out per Leicester Unified Bylaws effective April 10, 2017.  Duties do not include “Review on the Record”, at this time.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by John and second by Tom be it further resolved, that all matters pending before the Zoning Board of Adjustment which a public hearing has been held on or before April 11, 2017, shall be completed by the Zoning Board of Adjustment.  Upon completion of its duties, in connection with, all such pending matters, the Zoning Board of Adjustment shall then cease to exist.  All other pending and future matters as of the effective date of the DRB shall be heard by the DRB.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to appoint Sandra Trombley, Secretary for the DRB.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Motion by Ron and second by John to sign an annual agreement not to use herbicides within 20’ of the northern cemetery boundary line.  4 yes 1 no.  Julie will send letter.
 
Approval of March 20, 2017 minutes:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of March 20, 2017 as written.  All in favor.   So, approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad authorizing Julie to pay bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie received information from the Department of Environmental Conservation that the town has been awarded a grant in the amount of $43,090 for milfoil.
 
Julie will contact the new person for funding specifics and initiate the grant agreement.  Julie will follow through and send notice to LDFLA.
 
Delinquent taxes are at $115,000.
 
Dog licenses were due April 1st.  Julie will review the delinquent list and turn them over to John.
 
The school approached Julie about participating in a celebration for Foxcroft Farm.  The Board would like a little more information on their thoughts before making any decision.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to deny web-site request from Mr. Alderman to put an ad on web-site.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Rick Hanson asked Arlan about work on his driveway culvert.  There was discussion about the culvert.  Arlan will talk with him and advise him and find out what he is requesting and report back to the Board.
 
When Arlan sees Crane, advise him to submit his bill for the furnace.
 
John would like to fix the damage to Reserve Road and wanted the Board’s approval to do so.  Arlan will look at Reserve Road with John. 
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Diane reported that Mary Anne is attending a seminar on FEMA on Thursday.
 
Paving Grant:
 
Arlan thought of paving from Indian Trail south to Stone Brook.  Arlan will measure.  The grant is for $70,000 which would do about .7 mile.  Diane will submit grant next Friday.
 
Board signed the Certification for Compliance Town Road & Bridge Standards.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Re-adopt Local Emergency Operation Plan:
 
Board signed to re-adopt Local Emergency Operational Plan.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Independent Contractors:
 
Board signed the contracts for Gus Letourneau, Lem Palmer and Calvin Loven.
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Health Officer:
 
Weight Permits:
 
The weight permits were approved.
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Town Shed:
 
Tom wants to move along and get the ball rolling on the shed roof.
 
Brad wondered if they should get a structural engineer to sign off on the project design.  They have changed the dynamics of the building; and they need to make sure it will hold the weight of the new roof and the walls won’t buckle.
 
Ron asked if they should hire an engineer to look at it.  It might be worth the money.
 
Arlan will talk with Kevin Betourney, first, about an engineer stamp.  Arlan will report back.
 
Financial Plan:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to recess meeting until next Monday, April 10th at 10:00 a.m. to meet with Brian Sanderson and finalize the Financial Plan.
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION: 
 
EXECUTIVE SESSION:
 
 
Meeting resumed on April 10, 2017 at 10:20 a.m.
 
Present:  Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Arlan Pidgeon, Scott Pidgeon, Brian Sanderson (AOT), Eric House (AOT), Julie Delphia.
 
The group reviewed the Annual Financial Plan.  Brad and Tom (as approved at the prior meeting) approved the plan.
 
The group discussed current and future highway grant opportunities and application processes.
 
The meeting was adjourned at 11:10 a.m.

Next Meeting:  Monday, April 17, 2017
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary