Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes 07-17-17

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, July 17, 2017
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, John Rouse, Brad Lawes
Others Present:  Arlan Pidgeon, Jerry Flint, Julie Delphia, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Chair recognized Jerry Flint.  Jerry came for a couple reasons.
Jerry asked if the town hired the Sheriff Department patrol this year.  Jerry stated there has been a lot of speeding with cars and motorcycles on Rte. 53.  Probably going about 70-80 mph.  He talked with the State Police last year, but nothing was done.
Jerry would like to know what can be done.  It is getting out of control; worse than last year.  He is concerned that someone is going to get hurt.
Julie commented that there is a municipal form she can fill out and send in.
The Board explained the issues concerning the Sheriff’s Department and why they have no contract.
The second topic Jerry wanted to discuss was paving; asking if there was going to be more paving.  He and Al Watson have a dip where water runs onto their property due to paving.
The Board explained there would be no concern this year, as there will be no paving in front of his house this year.
Arlan will take care of the holes in the road by Flints, Watsons and Briggs.
Approval of July 3, 2017 Minutes:
Motion by John and second by Tom to approve minutes of July 3, 2017 as written.  4 in favor, 1 abstention (Brad).   So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that the loan information is at the bank.
Delinquents are just over $103,000.
The tax rate will be set at the next meeting.
Julie reported that the Town Plan is in the middle of the review process.  Jeremy Gildrien and Adam Lougee are working on the energy portion and it should be ready by the July 26th meeting.  Diane is working with Tim Boutin for the flood resilience part of the Plan.  Julie is waiting for Donna and Peter’s updates.  Around the end of July, first part of August, they hope to start the adoption process.  This Plan runs out September 17th.  A new plan will be adopted sometime in October.  There is a one month gap.  There can be no changes to the regulations and they won’t qualify for certain money during that one month period.  There may need to be several meetings to expedite the Plan.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported they finished up the wash-outs, hauled some sand, did a little grading and worked on some shoulders and ditching.
Paul Quesnel ended up not needing the culvert.
Arlan will look over a culvert on Rte. 53; above Stonebrook Road.  The culvert may need to be changed before paving is started.
Cemetery Committee:
Health Officer:
Weight Permits:
Japanese Knotweed: Bullock Road:
Suki Fredericks reported there is a big clump on the pull off area and if the knotweed could be dug up, ACSW will take it.  It is highly invasive.
Arlan will go look at it and report back.
Appointment to PC & DRB:
Motion by John and second by Diane to approve the appointment of Suki Fredericks as a delegate to the Planning Commission and the DRB.  All in favor.  So, approved.
PACIF Inspection:
Julie reported that someone from VLCT did a quick inspection and found the following:
  • The handicap ramp on the brick building needs to be beveled so there is no lip.
  • The fire escape on the White Building needs to be fixed and strengthened or be taken down.
Motion by John and second by Brad to take the fire escape down.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Brad and John will take care of taking the fire escape down.
Diane reported that Jeff McDonough had a nice visit about solving the problem of blocking the road at Point Counter Point. 
Brad will follow up with Steve Beck about solving the parking problem.
Diane reported she had discussion with MaryAnne about Shoreland and the town’s permit process.  Diane stated that MaryAnne is now seeing the State’s permits that are being issued.  The State now asks for comments from the town.
Town Shed:
Ron reported he inspected the roof.  The shed roof is shot and needs to be replaced with new metal.
Arlan will get a quote for the metal roof, roof installed and gasket seal.
Black Diamond’s spray foam insulation and painting fire retardant sealer quote was $8,700.
Board thought they should try to get more quotes for the foam spray.
John will contact UFO.  Tom will check Rutland vendors and they both will report back.
Fence on Reserve Road:
Julie reported that someone came in and were concerned that the fence with the speed limit sign on it on Reserve Road was wobbly and could fall over and someone could get hurt.
John will check it out.
Motion by Tom and second by John to adjourn at 8:00 p.m.
Next Meeting:  Monday, August 7, 2017
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary