Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes 06-05-17

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 5, 2017
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
 
Others Present:  Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda:  
 
Add to agenda:
 
Requests to post to Town’s web-site.
Concerns on Dewey Road.
 
Approval of May 15, 2017 Minutes:
 
Motion by John and second by Brad to approve minutes of May 15, 2017 as written.  All in favor.   So, approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom and second by John authorizing Julie to pay bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Diane shared that Julie reported that delinquents were at $107,300.
 
The abstract of the Grand List has been lodged.  The grievance hearings are tomorrow.
 
Reminder about fire extinguisher checks are due at the Town Shed.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported that they have graded and hauled gravel.
 
Arlan reported that they have removed most of the snag in the creek.
 
Tom reported that Scott Manning made an offer to purchase the chloride truck for $700.  Arlan made a formal offer to purchase the chloride truck for $800.
 
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to accept bid of $800; as is, where is.  4 yes and 1 abstention (Tom).
 
Board agreed that it was ok for Lem to start roadside mowing on June 12th.
 
Tom mentioned that trees need to be trimmed so you can see the signs at the intersection of Swinington Hill Rd and the Leicester Whiting Road by Scarborough’s.
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Diane reported that the committee met to work on the Walter Cerf Grant to pay for fencing to enclose the cemetery.  They received two quotes.  One quote from Middlebury Fence for 660’ for $25,401.  The other was from 802 Fence Co. for 435’ for $11,744.03.
 
They need a map to accompany the grant.  There was discussion of measurements in the three segments.  They need to get the measurements from the Mylar map.
 
Health Officer:
 
Diane was following up on another garbage complaint.
 
Weight Permits:
 
Weight permit was approved for Goodro Lumber.
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Web-site Requests:
 
There was a request from the Tuck Sleeve Foundation requesting their information be put on the web-site about properly disposing of mattresses.  Another request to post International Make Music Day on June 21st.
 
Board was not interested in having these types of posts on the Town’s web-site.  Board authorizes Julie to say ‘no thanks’.
 
Message from ACSWD:
 
Richard Reed and another representative from ACSWD will be coming two weeks from tonight on June 19th.
 
Diane has invited Van Denton to come.
 
There needs to be discussion how food scrap pick up will be handled.
 
Resignation of Tom Drew:  DRB & Planning Commission:
 
Tom Drew sent an email a couple weeks ago resigning his position due to personal family reasons.
 
Sandy reported that only one member showed for the May 31st Planning Meeting.  No business conducted.
 
Diane suggested that everyone think about who might fill the void left by Tom.
 
The next meeting is June 14th.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Dewey Road:
 
Ron reported that Dewey Road is getting narrow and dangerous.  He reported on the dangers of the trees being out in the road.  He stated that the cedars and also trees to the south of Currie’s need to be trimmed back within the Town’s right of way.
 
Diane will send a letter to Bill and Gloria Currie on behalf of the Board; stating that cedars and trees will be cut back, for safety concerns, working within the Town’s right of way.
 
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Town Shed:
 
Tom reported that Dubois & King sent six pages of terms to do the engineering.
 
Tom reported what he took away from the meeting was; that if the Town accepted the design from the original engineer from St. Albans, the insurance company would probably cover the building design, should something happen.  By going with what Kevin Betourney proposed, they would need to come up with an engineer design that would stand up structurally so the insurance company would cover if something happened with the roof.  Kevin wasn’t willing to do that.
 
Arlan will also call Butler about the cost of a metal roof.
 
There was discussion about spraying insulation.  Arlan will call Brian from Black Diamond Builders for a price on spraying insulation. 
 
It’s been awhile since Ron looked at the roof.  Ron will take a look at the roof to see what is necessary to be done, first.  If it’s rusty, he will inquire about pricing on sealant and colorant.
 
Ron and Arlan will do some homework and come back with information and prices at a later date.
 
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION: 
 
EXECUTIVE SESSION:
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to go into Executive Session to review confidential CDL records exempt to discuss potential legal matter per 1 V.S.A. § 313 (a) (6) at 7:48 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to come out of Executive Session.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to authorize the Board Chair to contact VLCT about advice on potential legal matter.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to adjourn at 8:08 p.m.
 
Next Meeting:  Monday, June 19, 2017
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary