Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes 06-19-17

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 19, 2017
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Others Present:  Arlan Pidgeon, Julie Delphia, Richard Reed, Teri Kuczynski, Cheryl Brinkman, Donald Maglienti, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Add to agenda:  Weight Permit
Approval of June 5, 2017 Minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to approve minutes of June 5, 2017 as written.  All in favor.   So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron authorizing Julie to pay bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that delinquents are at $104,800.
Julie would like to put up the little red hearts given to her by the Harvest Program on the side of the white building.
Board approved Julie to put the hearts up.
There is a flowering bush out by the sign in celebration of the Harvest Program.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported they have been ditching and shoulder work on Cram Road and hauled some sand.
Diane sent the letter to Bill and Gloria Currie regarding cedar trees and brush trimming.    Gloria contacted Diane and stated she would like an opportunity to do some of the clearing herself.  Diane commented there has been some clearing and clean up.
Diane asked Arlan to take a look at what’s been done and report back.
Diane stated the railroad has been working on the tracks and replacing railroad ties north of the trestle.  Tom mentioned they are going to have arms and lights at the crossing.
Diane mentioned pot holes on the approach to the track.  Arlan will take a look.
Ron mentioned there is standing water when it rains.  The sand needs to be scraped off on the shoulders so the water runs off.
Diane mentioned the branches are still hanging down in front of the signs at the intersection of Swinington Hill and Leicester Whiting Road.  Arlan thought he had taken care of the problem.  He will take care of it.
Cemetery Committee:
Health Officer:
Weight Permits:
Weight permit was approved for G & N Excavation.
Diane reported there is a grant opportunity for municipalities to fund construction, support, infrastructure and needed projects.
There is a Fountain’s Land.  A. Johnson’s parcel is land locked.  A. Johnson is sending letters to all adjoining landowners and the Town to see if anyone is interested in purchasing.
Municipal Road Grant in Aid Pilot Offer:
Town received a packet from Regional Planning last week.  The municipal roads general permits, which will go into effect next year, require inventory of hydrologically connected roads that have an impact on Otter Creek and Lake Dunmore.  The Legislature put aside $2.5 million to support a pilot to make money available to support best management practices on municipal roads.  The State inventoried roadway segments that they believe do not meet the water quality standards.  The Town needs to bring the roads up to standard.  The amount available to Leicester at this time is $4,200, of which town’s 20% match would be $840 ($5,040) which could go toward selecting a small segment, ditching, culverts, stone to slow the water. 
Letter is needed by July 5th.
Motion by Tom and second by John to authorize Chair to sign on behalf of the Town, the letter of intent to participate in the RPC/DEC Municipal Roads Grants-In Aid Pilot Project.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Records Retention Policy:
Julie provide some history on record retention and reported that the State of Vermont has been working on transferring over to General Records Schedules. 
This is the policy that allows Julie to use the General Records Schedule the State wants her to use to disposition records.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to adopt the Town Clerk & Treasurer’s Office Record Retention Policy.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Risk Assessment Questionnaire:
Reviewed and signed.
Chair signed the Financial Management Risk Assessment Questionnaire.
Bill of sale & odometer for 1987 Ford Truck. 
Chair signed on behalf of the Board.
Planning Commission:
Diane reported that the Planning Commission met last Wednesday and received a letter from Donna Swinington stating the Board recommended that Suki Fredericks replace Tom Drew on the Planning Commission Board.
There was a question if it would be for both the PC and the DRB boards.
Tom recommended the Board table the appointment, pending Diane talking to Suki to see if she wants to be on the DRB; as well as, PC.
Meeting with ACSWD Representatives:
Introductions were made.  Cheryl Brinkman, Vice Chair of ACSW Board of Directors explained that the Board took a look at how things are done throughout Addison County.  They came to this meeting as an outreach to make sure Leicester is aware of all the resources available to them.
Teri explained Act 148 law requirement for collections of food scraps by 7/1/2017.  The deadline got pushed back for haulers to 7/1/2018.
Teri explained they were here to ask if Leicester wants to start 7/1/2017.  She explained they received a grant to purchase all the totes and buckets to provide for free.
Don provided some handouts and showed the five gallon buckets.  They are providing handouts to the haulers on food scrap collection and provide each household a pail.  The hauler can charge whatever cost they feel necessary.  The rate at the station is $1.25 per pail.  They can also provide 35-gallon collection totes.  They will provide liner bags.  They will provide brochures and metal signage.
Free food scrap collection available to residents who go directly to ACSWD.
Food scraps only need to be picked up on the same days as the trash to be in compliance.
ACSWD offers 1 hour, 101 workshops on backyard composting at least once a month through October at the Transfer Station.   If residents attend the training there is a discount on the bin for the back yard.
All food scraps will be banned from the landfill in 2020.
ACSWD will create flyers to fit in the envelopes with the tax bill by the end of July.
Julie will take 5 of the buckets and some handouts for the Town Office.
Diane will contact Van Denton.
Motion by John and second by Tom to authorize Town of Leicester to participate in Act 148 food scrap pick up starting July 1st.  All in favor.  So, approved.
In regard to another matter, Diane will invite Mary Anne to the next meeting.
Town Shed:
Ron researched paint prices for the Town Shed roof.  DeRusto paint will cover rust and rust won’t come through for more than 10 years.  It is about $70 per gallon and would cost about $750.  There are other brands; as well.
Arlan called Butler about the quote he had given a while ago.  The quote was about $13,000.
Arlan needs to call Brian Thomas at Black Diamond to get the quote for spray insulation.
Ron and Arlan will look at the roof and report back.
Motion by Brad and second by John to adjourn at 8:05 p.m.
Next Meeting:  Monday, July 3, 2017


Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary