Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes 11-20-17

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 20, 2017
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes
Members Absent:  John Rouse
Others Present:  Arlan Pidgeon, Julie Delphia, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:   Added BLSG and RNESU.
Approval of November 6, 2017 Minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to approve minutes of November 6, 2017 as written.  All in favor.   So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Brad and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that delinquents are at $185,200.
Julie has been working on FEMA and Milfoil grants.
Town Plan meeting will be December 18th at 6:30 p.m. 
Julie will work on preliminary budget numbers for the December 18th meeting.
There has been no word from the Animal Control Officer.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported some grading is being done.
Diane reported tires on Bullock Road.  Arlan will pick up tires on Bullock Road and take them to the Transfer Station.
Cemetery Committee:
Health Officer:
Weight Permits:
Brad reported that BLSG needs another Leicester representative.  There is now a $45 meeting stipend being paid.  They meet the 3rd Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.  A Salisbury representative is also needed.
They are formalizing a proposal for the Town of Pittsford to buy in for adulticide to take to their Selectboard.  Four existing budgets are done with a slight increase.  If Pittsford comes in, there will be 5 towns, hopefully reducing it some.
Larvacide was done this year and 100% reimbursed by the State.
Brad reported they got another letter from Vermont Law requesting records.
Julie reported she went to the school board meeting on Wednesday at Leicester School.  With some things happening at the state level, increasing heath care, etc., the board came up with a couple ideas that will decrease the budget.
  • Leicester/Whiting/Sudbury
o   Make one a Pre-K
o   Make one a K-3
o   Make one a 4-6
  • Consolidate Neshobe and Lothrop where one is 4-6 and one is a Pre-K-3.
Julie brought up the rumors going around.  She asked the board some questions.
Julie brought up that in the minutes it stated Leicester should be a pre-school.  The board said they have not discussed what school is what.
Julie stated they should be looking at a 5-year plan.  The towns need to prepare and they should be put on notice.
In Friday’s Rutland Herald it talked about these big ideas.  The article stated that one of the ideas is to close Leicester School.
Julie stated that according to Central Office these statements are not true.  Julie stated that it is out there.  It was also on radio 92.1.
Julie suggested that as budget approaches, there is a need to think about a budget for the building and perhaps start a line item. 
Board approved Julie to contact RNE and get the annual building specific type costs and expenses on the building.
Forum on November 30th and December 5th at Otter Valley to discuss these ideas.
Tom discussed the effects of school consolidation to towns that didn’t have schools versus towns that had a school.  It hurts the town when a community loses its tax base.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to go into Executive Session at 7:16 p.m. to discuss municipal security measures exempt per 1 V.S.A. § 3313 (a) (10).
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to come out of Executive Session at 7:26 p.m., no action taken.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to adjourn at 7:26 p.m.
Next Meeting:  Monday, December 4, 2017
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary