Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes

 

Monday, December 1, 2008

 

*Unapproved*

 

** See subsequent minutes for any changes

 

Members Present:  Diane Benware, Bob Oliver, Ken Young, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker

 

Others Present:   Arlan Pidgeon, Harry Smith, Sandra Trombley, Secretary

 

Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:35 by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 

 

Agenda Review:  Agenda reviewed. 

 

Approve Minutes of November 17, 2008: 

 

Motion by Bob to approve minutes of November 17, 2008, seconded by Ken. All in favor.  So approved.

 

Review & Sign Orders for Payment:

Bills are making their rounds for signatures.  Kylee prepared breakdown for Hooker Road.  Bill for the salt shed was $3,600.

 

Ken hadn’t seen the bill for Kurt Kimball for taking care of the beaver.  Kurt was asking.

 

Reports from Town Officials, Committees:

Arlan stated that there wasn’t much to report.

·        He hasn’t heard from Mr. Mason

·        Has done grading on Bullock Road

·        More grading will get done if weather cooperates

·        Has road signs, but they are not up yet

·        Sand/salt/shed is ok

 

Bob had a talk with Mr. Roberts in regard to the railroad crossing.  Bob asked him what money we might get through the government in the next few years for paving the Delorm Road.

 

 

Lister Report:  Harry reported everything was on schedule.

 

Cemetery Report:  Tom reported the committee has not met.

 

Treasurer:  None

 

New Business:

ZBA/PC:  determine whether the current members are going to continue or not.  Shelley & Tom Drew’s appointments are up.  Tom Drew doesn’t come to meetings at all.  

 

Tom made a motion to reappoint Shelley Glassner to ZBA/PC for another three year term (2011).  Seconded by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

Action:  Chair will send Tom Drew a letter.  Chair will place an ad in the newspaper to find three individuals.

 

Tom had a question of Mr. Smith.  Tom was contacted by phone by Cecile Todd about the cabins at Dunmore Acres.  Can zoning do anything to stop this condominium type stuff?  There was discussion.    Diane reported that town counsel, Mr. Carroll had advised that Andrew Peterson seek legal advice on the matter.  He could not give advice as it would be a conflict of interest.  He recommended two names of attorneys in Vergennes that we might use to get advice on how to proceed.  Diane had left messages for Andrew, but had not heard from Andrew.

 

Action:  The Zoning Administrator needs to get this before the Planning Commission.  Diane will try to reach Andrew.

 

Bob asked Arlan if he had talked with Gary about Hooker Road paving.  Arlan said “no”.

 

Building 2009 Budget:

Action: Everyone needs to review Capital Plan, look at the dates, what we would like to do, and come up with dollars before the end of the month.

 

The Sheriff said the State stated there would be no more help from the diversion program because of the liability.

 

Action:  Diane will contact Linda Bodette, but she thinks she missed the deadline.  Diane will find out.

 

There was a legislative change that requires all constables who exercise any law enforcement authority must become part-time certified no later than July 2010.  Any constables not exercising any law enforcement authority are not required to be certified.  Our constables do not have law enforcement authority.

 

Brandon Fire Department Prudential Board:

Diane created a list of concerns to discuss with the Prudential Board.  Board went over the list with discussion.  Scheduled meeting with the Prudential Board is Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.  Diane would like everyone to attend the meeting.

 

Mr. Churchill has a complaint about his bill. 

 

Public Comment: 

 

Harry Smith commented that the Coon property mess is getting worse.  It’s been two years now.  Winter is coming and it’s only getting worse. 

 

Action:  Diane will call Sunapee Bank.

 

Executive Session:

 Into Executive Session at 7:42 p.m. on motion by Bob, seconded by Tom, to discuss personnel and pending legal action.

 

Out of Executive Session, at 8:24 p.m.  Motion by Tom, seconded by Ron, to authorize Chair to sign final stipulation and forward to town counsel.  Motion passed unanimously.

 

Motion by Bob to adjourn at 8:25 p.m.  Seconded by Ken.  All in Favor.  Adjourned at 8:25 p.m.

 

Next Meeting December 15, 2008.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary