Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes - 1.08.18

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, January 8, 2018
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Others Present:  Arlan Pidgeon, Julie Delphia, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:   Added Weight Permit to New Business.
Approval of December 18, 2017 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of December 18, 2017 as written.  3 in favor.   1 abstention (John).  So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Brad to authorize Julie to pay all State and Federal taxes and fees as required.  This includes Federal 941 payments, Vermont withholding payments, state education tax, state dog fees, and state marriage fees.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Board approved Julie’s recommendation for hourly payroll rate; due to minimum wage increase.
Motion by John and second by Brad authorizing Julie to pay bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan requested $2 more an hour for truck rental and increase Steve’s hourly rate by a $1.
Diane stated that the Board will address this during the budget review.
Sand and salt is good.
Arlan talked about running out of propane at the Town Shed.  The tank was filled and furnace started right back up.   
Ron will check on furnace at the Town Shed a little later in the week.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Delinquents are at $149,800.
Julie discussed a mail box versus plow truck situation on Rte.53.  Julie shared the Road Maintenance Policy with the resident.
The Board’s intention is that the Town plans to maintain the Road Maintenance Policy.
Julie asked if anyone had heard from the Animal Control Officer.  No one had.
Because Julie’s phone calls and emails have not been answered, the Board agreed to have Julie send a certified letter, and if he is no longer interested in this position, he needs to return the equipment and badge to Town.
Cemetery Committee:
Health Officer:
Diane reported there was a skunk that tested positive for rabies on Cram Road last week.  It came into contact with a dog.  The State Health Department and the State Police have both been in contact with Diane.  Diane has spoken to the dog owner.  The dog has been to the vet.  They could not find any evidence of a cut or scratches, but they can’t rule out that he didn’t come in contact with it.  The dog has to be confined for 10 days and monitored for 45 days.  The dog was current with all its vaccinations.
Weight Permits:
Weight permit approved for ABC Supply.
Discussion of note that Mary Anne left in Diane’s box about Leicester permitting inquiry from Tesla Energy, Danielle Phillips, wanting to know about permitting and inspections for products.
Board has no issues.
2018 Budget Review:
Julie provided a final draft of the Town Budget.
Julie went through the few changes that were made to the budget.
Board approved the list of all changes made.
Motion by Brad and second by John to authorize Town Clerk to send a bill in the amount of $500 to LDFLA for 2017 grant administration, payable to the Town of Leicester.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to raise the single axle and tandem truck rental rate by $2 more an hour and raise Steve Morrison by $1 more.  All other rates remain the same.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Auditors are coming on Friday to audit. 
Diane is working on the Selectboard Report.
FEMA Grants:
Julie is part way through the grant for July FEMA grant. 
Discussion about the work involved for so little money.
Board signed payment policy for grant.
Legislative Update:
Diane shared the weekly legislative update in regard to House Bill 564, Vermont Clean Water Act, would propose a revenue generation assessment fee of $40 to be imposed on all property parcels in the State.  The municipality would collect the fee as part of the property tax bill.
Towns need to contact their representatives about this proposed legislation and voice their opinions.
John brought up discussion on delinquent taxes.  Tom shared his experiences over the years.
There was discussion about delinquent taxes and the number of years behind.  The delinquent tax policy was read.
Julie will invite Beth to come to the next meeting to help review the delinquent tax policy to see if any changes should be made to the policy.
Town Shed:
Motion by John and second by Brad to go into Executive Session at 8:03 p.m. to review the Confidential CDL Records exempt per 1 V.S.A. § (a) (6).
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to come out of Executive Session at 8:10 p.m. with no action taken.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to adjourn at 8:10 p.m.
Next Meeting:  January 15, 2018
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary