Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes - 4.16.18

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Thursday, April 16, 2018
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, John Rouse, Brad Lawes
 
Others Present:  Josh Martineau, Project Manager AOT, Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary        
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair. 
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda:   Added the LEOP, Paving Grant and Letters of Interest under Old Business.
 
Approval of April 2, 2018 minutes:
 
Motion by John and second by Tom to approve minutes of April 2, 2018 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Brad and second by John authorizing Julie to pay bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie and Arlan worked on the FEMA paperwork.
 
Julie reported that delinquents are at $129,000.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan had nothing major to report.
 
Chair shared her appreciation of the work on the roads this past weekend.
 
Weight Permits:
 
Weight permits were approved and signed for Rene Quenneville, Arlan Pidgeon, Scott Pidgeon and Barrett Trucking.
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Tom reported the Cemetery Committee met. They are pursuing grant money for fencing.  
He wants to find the pins and get at least one row in the new part laid out.
 
Health Officer:
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Arbor Day Conference – April 19th in Montpelier
Parade Safety Guide – VLTC News
Human Resources Employment Law Workshop – June 5thin Montpelier
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Green Up Day:
 
Kate is trying to work with the high school to organize students to come and do some of the clean-up for people that cannot do Green Up.
 
Lem would like $25 more than budgeted for the Green Up pick up for $575.
 
Motion by Brad and second by Diane to expend $25 more to Lem to do the Green Up pick up.  3 yes, 1 no.  So, approved.
 
Lunch will be 11:30 – 1:00.  Free coffee.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Other:
 
Chair mentioned that back in July 2017, they were awarded $5,300, our match $1,050 for a Municipal Roads Grant Pilot Project. Chair will contact Josh and ask him to contact Arlan to see where they need to do some stone lined ditching.
 
Letters of Interest:
 
Cree Perkins sent a letter of interest for the Town Health Officer position and for Alternate Rep for BLSG.
Jim Bosman sent a letter of interest for the BLSG Delegate.
 
Chair will invite the two interested parties to come in for a brief interview on May 7th.
 
Railroad Crossing Agreement:
 
Introductions were made to Josh Martineau, Project Manager for AOT.  
 
Julie provided a copy of the agreement that was sent and copies of the plans and the email since the last meeting with all email conversations.
 
Chair started by saying that the Board was not trying to be difficult.  In reading the document there are places 
where it seems to be contradictory and there are places that it seems to leave the town liable for things which the town didn’t seek out and it’s not the town’s project.  The Board is trying to limit their liability as much as possible; wherever possible.
 
Chair talked with Jim Carroll to see what the Board could and could not do.  Counsel’s advice was to get clarification on all the points brought up and make it as clear as possible what responsibilities are.
 
Josh explained the five projects and Leicester’s piece in the plan set.  He explained what the project consisted of; showing the Board on the plans.  They are putting in all new regulatory signs and stop bars.  The town will be responsible for the outer four signs if they are damaged or stolen. The town would be responsible for painting the white stop bar lines as needed.
 
Josh reviewed the agreement and clarified certain parts for the Board.  If the town requested changes, it would be 100% at town expense.  If not, it would be $0 to the town.  If it doesn’t have a number it would be $0.
 
Josh stated that there is no non-participating cost in the project to the town.
 
Josh explained that Friday he is submitting the whole plan set to go out to bid.  He would like the Board’s signatures.
 
Chair stated that they need assurance the project will be constructed as the plan is written and no work will be done in the Town’s right of way and they are not on the hook for extraordinary expenses.
 
Chair will follow up with Jim Carroll tomorrow. Josh will talk with his counsel tomorrow to clarify the things he wasn’t sure about.  Issues are #22 & #23 and clarification of “project”.
 
Julie commented how important it was that the Board understands clearly what they are signing before they sign it.
 
Leicester Emergency Operation Plan (LEOP) Update:
 
Chair signed the 2018 LEOP on behalf of the Board.
 
Paving Grant:
 
Board signed the Certification of Compliance and the Annual Financial Plan for Highways.
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Town Shed:
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION:  
 
EXECUTIVE SESSION:
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to recess until Wednesday, April 18that 6:30 p.m.  
 
Reconvened meeting at 6:30 p.m., April 18, 2018.
 
Members Present:  Brad Lawes, John Rouse, Tom Barker, Diane Benware
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia
 
Railroad Crossing Agreement:
 
Discussed and reviewed wording of the latest (4/17) document that Josh had forwarded.  Discussed suggested language changes offered by Jim Carroll.
 
Accepted language changes.  Julie sent Josh an email on behalf of the Board, indicating if several minor changes were made that the Board would be ready to sign.
 
Wanted “the state” added to paragraph #15.
 
Motion by John and second by Brad to authorize the Chair to sign the Finance and Maintenance Agreement for the Old Jerusalem Road south crossing, with the addition of “the state” to paragraph #15.  Motion passed unanimously.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Diane to adjourn at 6:40 p.m.
 
Next Meeting May 7, 2018.
 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary